can someone help identify this?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by raal, Dec 24, 2012.

1. raal

raal

this is from a parts jazz that i got in a pawn shop a while back (maybe 10 years). I'm guessing it isn't worth much, eventhough sounds decent with the warmoth fretless ebony fb neck it came with.

the black stamp on the neck pocket says "JB - 62 EX". A red stamp simply says "J" and It does not look like anything warmoth, allparts or mighty mite currently makes. The paint job looks like a custom nitro sonic blue that is quality job. Can anybody identify a manufacturer or parts maker from this?

Merry Christmas to all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Leialoha

Leialoha

A quick online search suggests it may be from a Crafted/Made in Japan, Fender JB62 reissue Bass.

3. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Definitely looks like a MIJ bass, most likely Fender or Squier. JB-62 being a model number and EX indicating it was produced for export from to Japan to another market.

The pickguard screw hole above the neck PU and the grounding strap from bridge to bridge PU are solid clues.
    Nice looking body you have there. ;)

wraub

4. raal

raal

Thanks for the inputs.

Are you suggesting the pickguard screw hole pattern is different between MIJ and MIA?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Well, the 11 hole pattern is more typical of 60s J basses IIRC, while the 10 hole (without the hole between neck and pickup) is more of a 70s thing. Again IIRC, the 60s bass design was the one first copied by Fender Japan, and remains the one most typical of them imo. Hence, the aforementioned grounding strap.

That said, some differences are always possible when going from one factory to another. My MIJ P bass matches with every USA part tried so far, my MIJ J bass does not.
    Probably have to try things out and see. Or play it without a 'guard. That's how mine is right now.

wraub