1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can someone help me ID this Dean Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shadowdream, Dec 26, 2013.

1. shadowdream

shadowdream

Hi all!

Got this lovely Dean bass at a pawn shop a few days ago and initially I thought it was the Edge 10. I'll admit, I am an entire noob when it comes to basses and this is my first. I've been playing guitar for a little over a year and wanted to learn bass as well.

So, I know nothing about active pickups other than what they basically do and that they need a battery, but no idea where that battery might be located. Go looking, and realize there is no battery I can find, so they must be passive pickups.
    All I can find on the Edge 10 is active pickups. So, I am guessing it's not a 10?

Can someone help me out please? I initially started the search so I could figure out exactly which knob did what, and because Rocksmith keeps grumping that my volume is too low even when I have it on full.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!!
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

definately an edge 10. it's possible that the original owner just converted the lectronics to passive. you made sure there wasnt a battery under the control cavity? did you plug it in to see if it works? if there's still a battery harness, it could also be possible the the previous owner just pulled the battery from it.
  3. shadowdream

shadowdream

I don't have a bass amp, but I plugged it into the playstation with the rocksmith cable and it worked, Rocksmith just complained that the output was to quiet and told me to turn up the volume. All knobs maxed and it still complained.

I did check inside. No sign of anyplace for a battery. [​IMG]
  4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

could've been converted to passive. the battery would've been in the rear end of the cavity by the jack.
  5. shadowdream

shadowdream

Gotcha. Thanks! Why would they do that?
  6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

liked the bass but didnt want to bother with the battery? who knows. i did the same with a schecter 5-string. i prefer the passive tone of the EMG 40HZs.
  7. shadowdream

shadowdream

Understood. Then they just took out the battery case, likely, didn't exchange the pickups? Sorry if that's a nooby question, but this is an aspect of modding I know nothing about yet!

If so, easy fix to put back? There ARE two twisted pairs of wires that are soldered together, those ends not hooked into anything. You can see the black one in the picture. Maybe that?

(And no, I'm not going to go screwing around, as I don't know what I'm doing. Just getting a handle on what may need done before I bring it to someone who does. I have a friend who builds and mods in his spare time, so I know where to go. He's just 2 hours away.)
  8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

i'm not really the one to ask when it comes to electronics. i haven't gotten into that aspect of basses yet. if you post your pics in the pickups & electronics forum, i'm sure someone can help you out.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f38/
  9. shadowdream

shadowdream

Ok. Will do! Thanks so much!
  10. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

You're welcome. I try to help when I can.
  11. RxFunk

RxFunk

IME, Rocksmith does that with basses anyway, you really have to dig in to get the notes to register.
  12. shadowdream

shadowdream

Aha! Good to know! Thanks.