Can someone tell me about this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/chermside/guitars-amps/fender-bass-neck-on-70s-canora-body/1031356979
    The body is obviously aftermarket, but the neck intrigues me. It has that cool 70's style neck. I want to get 150 for the neck, he said that'd be cool but keep in mind that this is in Australia where we get burned pretty hard on prices for guitars.
    So can someone tell me about the neck? Does it look like it's from the 70's/80's? It looks like it only has 19 frets to me, a little unusual...

Cheers

2. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

3. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I found this on an interesting collectors site: " Suzuki Musical Instrument Manufacturing
    Suzuki had two factories in Kiso and Hamamatsu where they made popular Suzuki guitars. The Hummingbird Suzuki guitar was manufactured in the Kiso factory. Suzuki is also credited with making the Canora and Takeharu badged guitars along with Marco Polo acoustics. Holly is another badge ascribed to Suzuki, although that has not been verified. " If you search there was a lot of info on this company....

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A regulation 20 frets on that neck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

Oh, it looked like 19 because there was no fret-19 marker.
    Does anyone know if this is an actual 70's neck or what?

7. lundborg

lundborg

Actually knowing is difficult from the pictures.

But i'm pretty sure it's fake:
    - There is no dot at the 19:th fret
    - Tuners are just slightly 'wrong' - the clover leaf shape is just slightly different from a Fender tuner (e.g. where it meets the shaft)
    - General impression...

If you're really interested, ask for closeup pictures, starting with the missing dot at the 19:th fret (it could have fallen out), and the back and front of the headstock.

BTW, it looks like a C-width neck. Rather unusual for a '68 or later I think.

8. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

The tuners look ok to me.. I'm not TOO concerned if it's fake, I'm really fond of that wide PRECISION BASS decal. Besides, I'm only spending 150 bucks on it. (Australian dollars btw).
    Thanks for the info.

9. Splods

Splods

Also, Canora basses had a different sized neck heel, so a fender neck would leave a large gap when screwed in.