Can the GK MB110 replace my B-15?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Wild Rice Chris, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    First up, I'm not talking about bass playing. ;)

I use my '66 B-15 (original Jensen) for steel guitar in my Doctor Who tribute band. It is the perfect volume/tone for that group, but we have some out of town gigs and some questionable venue gigs coming up. I'd love to have a smaller/lighter/cheaper option for these types of shows.

I know the Gallien-Krueger tone works for my steel guitar, I've played many rehearsals/gigs through an 800RB and 1001RB-II using Bag End cabs.

I don't run out of headroom on the B-15, it sits in the sweet spot of our stage mix. Not a really loud band on stage, but very dynamic with occasional moments of high volume.

I have played bass through an MB112 on gigs, and don't think it would have any trouble for my steel guitar shows. But the smaller/lighter MB110 is a much nicer form factor...

2. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

I don't see why the MB110 would have trouble with your stage, at least for steel guitar, but in the same vein I've never owned one. That said, do you have any links to some sound clips? this sounds pretty cool

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    There is only one way to find out. Personally, I've not been in a situation where a B-15 could be replaced to where I don't miss it, except by a V4B or SVT ;) But many other amps do a very good job, no denying that.

4. Wild Rice Chris

Disclosures:
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Thanks! We got the rough mixes for our first album yesterday, so I'm in full-on thinking about the band mode.
    Here's a taste of the band: http://youtu.be/dJJzlSF-cFo?t=40s

I know I'll miss it, I've done gigs with this band playing a '63 Bassman, '66 Super Reverb, EA Doubler, and a JC-120. Every time I've missed the B-15. I've been happy with the big GKs in rehearsals and gigs with other groups, and been very happy with my Princetons in recording sessions.

I've never played an SVT, but I have a V4 down in the basement that needs a little restoration. Doesn't meet the small/light requirement though...

I keep checking the only local GK dealer, but they never have anything in stock beyond a 700RB.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

No. If you even question the MB112 I wouldn't recommend the MB110. But I sure do love my little MB110 - it sounds great and I can carry it with my pinky finger.

7. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

The MB110 is a great-sounding little amp, but it's running a moderate-duty 10" driver in a small box. I love mine, and gig it out on intimate "unplugged" sessions, but I don't kid myself that it's much more than a high-quality practice amp.

Your previous live amp choices didn't satisfy like the B-15, and they all had WAY more cone area than the MB110.

It would probably be pretty cool for recording, but in a club as backline with live acoustic drums, 2 guitars and bass? No way.

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Well, some players use even way less (IE: IEM, and even JimmyM sometimes uses his little Ampeg) - but yeah, the bands aren't to loud.

EDIT: OP, I'd hang on to your B15 if I was you.

9. Wild Rice Chris

Disclosures:
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    My other amps certainly satisfied volume, tone, and coverage requirements, just not as sweet as the B-15.

And questioning the MB112 is not due to it's limitiations, but the limitations in the situations I've played it in. Church gigs, keeping up with a grand piano, musical drummer, and electric guitarist, where I've easily filled the sanctuary with a Phil Jones Bass Cub.

Don't worry, the B-15 isn't going anywhere! It was the amp I learned to play on. My dad had it since 1970 and I traded my car to him for it about five/six years ago.

10. Wild Rice Chris

Disclosures:
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    Eh, I stumbled onto a pawnshop Peavey that will fill this need nicely for <$100. Thanks for the input!

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Late to the game - a couple of years back the GK MB 200 driving a 15" Spica in an open backed cab was the rage amongst some steel and lap steel players. A guy i work with in the summer gigged in over his Carr Rambler (?) and the Carr is a sweet amp!