1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

can the newer Gallien Krueger combo's really compete in live gigging?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Arnie, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Arnie

Arnie

I really want to pull the trigger on a GK combo (either 15" or 2-10") they are so light, but can they really compete at a club gig?? small club but non the less it would require shleppin in some heavy traditional bass gear (which i am way too old to want to do ).

You can only demo an amp so loud at the store, so I would rather be confident on the purchase before taking it home..
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Too many variables to answer properly. I will say, if they are NOT enough, only the 210 model has an ext spkr jack, and that's where you get increased volume- more spkrs is better than more power, in most cases.
  3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    Any of the newer combos should be able to use the new powered extension cabinets.
  4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

You should crank it LOUD at the store for at least a minute. Tell the people why you are doing it. Most will let you do it especially when the store is empty.

On the flip side, they have light-weight bass heads that pack a lot of wattage and under 50lb bass cabinets that will provide more volume than the combo would. Since you like GK, check these out

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/mb-heads/
    http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/cabinets/

In the end, yes, it will probably cost more money. However, I can almost guarantee you will be loud enough going for separate pieces. As long as you not blasting that dreaded "scooped" midrange tone at massive volumes.
  5. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

The MB112-II combined with the MBP12 is very much giggable. I use it for my bar gigs up to approx 300 or so ppl. Cost me just over $600 .
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

I've had the 115 combo as backline, outdoors a few times. Once when I was also the sound guy on a 7 band afternoon and evening. It was there so I left my rig in the truck as I already had too much stuff to lug.... Used an Avalon u5 before the amp and took that out front, let the bassists decide on going wet or dry to the amp and which filter, if any they wanted to send. Had zero complaints. This was a flatbed stage, around 30 by 8 so not super high stage volume. Sucker ran all day w/o an issue.

If I were in the market, I would start there for my uses.
  7. woofdoggy

woofdoggy

Mb500 + Neo 212 is pretty good combo, weighs at about 45 pounds, has handles and you can install casters. I think its 380 watts at 8 and 500 watts at 4 ohms (something like that) bought both of the things used for about 700$. Haven't gigged it yet, but boy is it loud.
  8. Davyo

Davyo

I have owned just about every GK MB combo made, 1x15, 2x12, 1x12, 2x10,,,, just bought the newest MB115 ll a few weeks ago,,,, and getting ready to buy the newest MB212 ll (I sold most of my first generation MB combos to replace them with the new series ll MB combos)

In short, I have lots experience with the GK MB combos.

If your not playing huge clubs with no PA support and if your band is not playing at ear bleeding levels then the new MB115 will be fine for gigging out,,, the MB210 can handle just about any gig situation and would a little better than the MB115,,, but they are both great combos.

For only being 200 watts though I will say the MB115 gets really really loud and punchy,,, kinda freaks me out how great it sounds and much volume it puts out every time I have gigged out with it.

Of course the MB210 is going to be able to throw out more volume and to me is a tad bit cleaner with my low B string than my MB115 is.

If ya can throw out the extra coin and wait a few more weeks,,,, the MB212 series ll would be the combo to get and all you'll ever need, even for the big gigs.

Cheers
    Davyo
  9. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

I have had an MB210 and found it to be lacking without the extension cab, I had to use an MBE115 with it, I am in a rock/pop covers trio and found the MB210 lacking in quality tone at gig levels, it got muddy, farty and undefined at small/medium sized gig levels, we are not an overly loud (ie metal etc) band and the drummer is 62 so not too aggressive, using the extension obviously gave better volume but the muddy tone was still there .
    If you are in a quiet band the MB is fine but not for rocking IME, I would say save your money and buy a decent rig and reap the rewards of higher quality sound and better headroom .
    As for the MB212, that went pop after 20 minutes of easy going rehearsal so would not go there :rollno:
  10. Davyo

Davyo

With the MB212 yes there were some issues when they were being made in China,,,but now that they are now being made in the USA with a revamp on the QC I think the new MB212's will be problem free.

I also paired up my MB210 with the MBE115 and it was a great rig,,,,, I don't think it did to bad at all though by itself with small to med size gigs,, I was always happy using it as a stand alone with my fairly loud rock band.

Cheers
    Davyo
  11. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

I've had problems with speakers - the GK combos I have used can easily blow the speakers in them, so you have to watch out, especially in jacking up the low end at full volume. That said, though, the weight to thrust ratio on the newer combos just can't be beat and will fill pretty much any place I've been playing - if you need more volume, you probably need to run through a PA anyway.
  12. GRAHAM SG1

GRAHAM SG1

I agree with the `made in china` bit, there were a lot of issues .
    At moderate levels and with the EQs `low` right down and `mid low`up to compensate the MB210 did sound good, I only had probs on the rockier songs when the old adrenalin got flowing :bassist:, sadly for the MB most of our songs are rocky :)
    I found it neccessary to use the extension cab because 350 watts through 2x10 speakers does have limits .
    When all is said etc, you do get what you pay for and you do realise a products limitations when you upgrade to better gear .
  13. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Interested in hearing some reviews on the new Gk MB-II 212 combo. What amp is inside, the MB500 ?
  14. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Yes basically.
  15. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    With the MB 212II combo you can add up to 3 powered cabinets. That would be 8-12s and 2000 watts.
  16. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Yeah. it's got to be quite a bit like my current rig: MB500 and Neo 212. It's overkill for practice, great for rehearsal, probably do well in a small venue. I plan to get another cab (possibly the same one) soon so I'll be covered for the big rooms.

The MB212 combo can't drive a second cab, but like all the newer GK combos it can run a line out to one of GKs powered cabs.
  17. jfh2424

jfh2424

Hi I bought a GK MB212 two years. I loved the protability and the sound but unfortunately, I blew both speakers. So I would say that mine held up fine, but only for two years.

I contacted GK for replacement speakers but they are pretty pricey ($179 plus shipping). Has anyone else used different speakers and how do they sound?

Thanks!

John
  18. Davyo

Davyo

Just got my new MB212 series ll and gave it a test run,,,, it is loud as hell, rattled the walls and sounds great.

I have yet to use it on a gig but Im quite certain it will have no problem at all keeping up with my loud rock band.

Cheers
    Davyo
  19. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

Just be careful in jacking up the low end freqs too much when playing loud.