Can the SA Manta sound like the original Mutron 3?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iggy, Jan 6, 2014.

1. iggy

iggy

Just curious. Is it still a true envelope filter or because it has distortion drive built in does it lean more to synth territory? Also, can it cop the sound that Pino Pallidino uses on the Nine Inch Nails song "Came back haunted"?

2. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    The drive settings are optional. Whether it can do the Mutron 3, I'm not sure...but it does traditional envelope sounds quite well.

3. iggy

iggy

Wondering if the Mantra paired with a Boss OC-2 would give me choices of envelope filter and synth sounds.

4. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

After that thread was posted, I immediately went to try and see if I could replicate Pino's tone from "Came Back Haunted." In short, the answer is yes, it can easily cop that tone. I don't own a fretless, so some of the muaw was missing, but the rest of the tone came through nicely. I added an octave below from my POG2 to seal the deal, but the meat and potatoes of that tone came from the Manta. I didn't have to fiddle much either, it was pretty easy to dial in. I've never played a Mutron, but the Manta is as good an envelope filter as any I have tried including the Wonderlove and Xerograph DLX. As SmallEQ said, the drive is optional. You can keep it as clean or dirty as you like. The real difference is how the drive interacts with the envelope. It is a similar concept to having a fuzz pedal in the effects loop of the Wonderlove (which I adored). It is a very different tone and feel than simply stacking a fuzz/ distortion pedal before or after the filter. The SA guys hit this one out of the park.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iggy

iggy

Thanks. I'll see if the OC-2 can cut the mustard when I pickup the Manta. Can you tell me where you purchased yours?

7. zwkoch

I live in Minnesota, so I ordered from Macdaddy Music. I get the pedal the next day. If you live on the west coast, order from Rogue.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    IME, the Manta does whatever my mutron III can do and way more. it and the BEF pro are my favorite envelopes and that's over a WMD SuperFatman and a Lovetone Meatball (which are both based on the MIII but with alot more features).

9. iggy

iggy

Nice. Not to derail my own thread but should I get the Soundblox 2 multiwave bass distortion or the Soundblox 2 OFD bass micro modeler. What's the difference between the two?

10. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I personally prefer the OFD by a wide margin.
    the OFD yields more 'traditional' overdrive/distortion/fuzz tones whereas the MW is more synth-like on most of its settings (with the exception of the 'normal' mode).
    so it depends on what you're going for.

11. zwkoch

The MWBD is much 'synthier" than the OFD. I have both. Pairing the MWBD with a chorus or flange is fantastic. I also love it with my POG2 and some reverb. It is a very unique creature and is not for everyone. Given the built in distortion with the Manta, I would recommend you get the OFD. You should be able to cover all the basses with the Manta and OFD.

12. iggy

iggy

Thanx for the advice

13. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Just paid for a Manta. Looking forward to trying it out. JohnK - your recommendation weighs strongly :D

14. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I think that you'll absolutely love it. it cured my quest for the ultimate envelope pedal the day that I got mine. ;)

15. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

Dayum Bro.
    Thats 2 100% digital pedals that you (of all people) really love.
    You feeling OK :eek:

And no; I haven't tried any SA pedals other than a flanger demo they sent me. It was OK but in the end preferred my Boss unit.

16. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    well, good is good, and it doesn't matter to me how a pedal gets it, as long as it gets it. ;)

17. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I first tried the MWBDD and thought it was a little digitalish but very versatile. So I figured that's how it is but After hearing the Orbital in Smeet's phaser shootout I was convinced that Source Audio was the real deal. I've bought an Orbital, a BEF, a HH3 and now the Manta since. I think when it's good and you put the proper effort in the results speak for themselves. I can't wait for the HUB to be avaliable. Imagine 128 different scenes avaliable at a push of a button. I can't wait!

18. iggy

iggy

19. zwkoch

Congrats. Don't forget to post your favorite settings in the Manta settings thread.

20. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, i'd like to get one of those too as soon as they're available.
    it would awesome to have a bunch of presets for the manta, the OFD and the Orbiter on hand.

21. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

I just ordered a Mantra... looking forward to comparing it to my Wonderlove.