Can the Tech 21 Sansamp VT-RM also do clean & slap?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I know the VT-RM is known for tube and overdrive tones, but can it also do a nice clean tone and/or slap (with the Drive & Character, etc turned down)?

2. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I don't have the vt. i use the RBI I've messed with the vt and the rpm. On the vt the character knob can be a little misleading. The way to get a cleaner tone with all these pres is to turn the blend knob down. You might have to reduce gain a little also depending on what your starting with. With the RBI the blend knob is the only thing i ever adjust. I have it at about 2 o'clock for punchy rock type of sound with a little grit and if i need something cleaner for example clean slapping i turn the blend down to about 10oclock. The vt does have a bit more gain though so you might have to reduce gain a little as well depending on the output of the bass and where it was to start.

What all these sans amps do to get a massive tone is they split the signal and run one signal to the gain, character and eq but the other signal is left untouched. The mix of those two signals is controlled by the blend. So if you turn the blend all the way to the left its basically like playing straight into a power amp with no pre at all. If it's all the way to the right you get none of the dry signal and it sounds pretty sterile. So keep the blend between say 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes it can. Don't expect icepick highs, though...unless it's turned off, it rolls off highs past 5k. This, to me, though, makes for a much better slap sound ;)

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

What Jimmy said. IME the VTRM sounds fantastic for RHCP/RATM funk, including slap.... and it'll do clean tones too. But if you're looking for smooth jazz Ken Smith style slap, you'll want something else.

5. Register to disable this ad