Can tunings bend the neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Walpurgis, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Walpurgis

Walpurgis

What I mean is, If I tune to say Drop B (BF#BEA) on my bass with let's say 45-130 gauge strings, will the half step up on the top 4 strings bend the neck out of proportion (to the point of damaging the instrument)? I have an Ibanez SRX705, which is a thru body neck if that matters. If it will bend the neck, can it be fixed by changing string gauge?

2. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    A half step isn't problematic. You may need to adjust the truss rod, but even that is may, not will.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Necks are meant to bend. Trussrods are meant to counteract the bend.
    Most modern instruments could withstand cables from the Golden Gate as strings without an issue.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Ibanez necks are thinner then most ans as a result are more prone to increased string tension bowing the neck. This is fixed by truss rod adjustment. But yes Ibanez necks are more prone to neck bow from string gauge/tension increases.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Nothing you can't adjust with the trust rod , but yes all necks move (even graphite) reguardless of who makes it, when you change gauges and tunings. The only necks I ever found that moved more than any others were one piece flat sawn necks (fender types). Guys like MM got around that by making the 1 piece neck thicker, which helps a bit.

Graphite , multi laminate necks , and graphite or steel reinforced necks are generally the most stable, but still require some adjustment when you change things.