1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can you connect 2 powered mixers?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mello_bedwetter, May 18, 2011.

1. mello_bedwetter

mello_bedwetter

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you utilize 2 powered mixers? I have a small Phonic 740 Plus 440 watt or 220 x 220 and a Yamaha EMX512SC 500 x 500. I know the Phonic isn't the most popular brand but it's been working for us for over 2 years. What I'm wanting to do if possible is to be able to run 4 stage monitors and 4 mains. I just got the Yamaha so I haven't had a chance to use it...maybe this weekend. The Phonic actually does a decent job using it with two 15" monitors and two 15" mains...this was for vocals only. Any suggestions would be helpful...other than "canning" the Phonic completely(lol). It's going to have to do for now unless I just use the Yamaha. Thanks.
    If it's possible to use both powered mixers I may try to run 2 guitars and vocals through the set up. Thanks again.

2. uhdinator

uhdinator

The Yam 512 mixer can power 2- 8 ohm speakers off the Main (amp 1) and 2-8 ohm monitors off the monitor out (amp 2) with the MAIN/MON switch in the MAIN/MON setting

In the MAIN/MAIN setting you can run 4 cabs but no monitors (only 2-8ohm cabs per amp

Either way you get 250w per 8 ohm cab..........

I believe that mixer has a line level out (before it goes to power amp) on both the mains and the Aux/monitor. That could be patched into another powered mixers line ins or aux returns and routed to the main out of the second mixer to power monitors.....to test it insert a guitar cable into main line out to make sure it does not interupt/bypass the amp when inserted. As long as you're still getting sound out of the speakers when a cable it jacked in then it will work.
    (some powered mixers using the line out jack completely bypasses the amp)

Line outs are not balanced, use a short instrument cable will work. Just don't run all the 512 monitor levels all the way up as you can adjust level on the other mixer too. (don't overdrive input of second mixer)
    Dont do it wrong or the smoke may come out of the box and you'll never get it back in.
    Then hook up your monitors to the second mixer........2-8 ohm cabs =4 ohms.......make sure the second mixer is rated for 4ohms minimum per speaker jack if running 4-8ohm monitors (2 on each amp jack. if only one speaker jack use the in/outs on the cabs to daisy chain

Your prob only gonna get a bit more than 100w per monitor this way

3. mello_bedwetter

mello_bedwetter

Okay, let me run another by you. We play mostly classic rock, some southern rock. Here's what we have:
    2 guitars sometimes 3
    1 bass
    drummer
    lead singer
    The places we will be playing would be considered small I guess...maybe 100 people max. In just your opinion, do you think we could just use the Yamaha and use two 15"s for monitors and two 15"s for mains and just run vocals through the PA?
    I also play with a group of guys and the music is just country. I think the single powered mixer would be fine with that.
    Also, if I'm reading the manual right, you can add a separate power amp and 2 speakers to the Yamaha using the "main" or "monitor" out. It says "the signal sent to these jacks is adjusted by the "MAIN"(or MONITOR, depending on which one being used)section's MASTER knob and graphic equalizer.
    The drawing actually shows a power amp and 2 speakers coming out of the Main out (R & L) and a powered speaker coming out of the Monitor out.
    Is this similar to what I'm asking about in the 1st part of this post? Thanks
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f203/how-would-you-slave-2-pa-powered-mixers-like-these-662047/

4. mello_bedwetter

mello_bedwetter

I know you can run an external power amp out of the Yamaha 512 and add speakers. Would running a powered mixer be much different than running a power amp?
    I'm just asking because if this would work all I need to do is get 2 more 15" mains. Thanks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

There's not much difference between a poweramp and a powered mixer, aside from the mixer itself. As long as you can run a line out from mixer #1 to the input of mixer #2, it should be alright. Just watch your levels carefully.

7. mello_bedwetter

mello_bedwetter

I'll look into the 2 powered mixers a little more. If I would use say the Yamaha for the "Mains" and hook up the "smaller" Phonic to run the "stage monitors" the Yamaha should control the volume out put for only the Mains and the Phonic for the monitors only...is that right? And the mixer or EQ on the Yamaha would control both "systems"? I usually run the Yamaha flat when I use it for 2 mains and 2 monitors.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

I think you are better off getting a small power amp. Then run the mains from the mixer and the monitors from the power amp. With the two inputs slaved together you can run up to 8 monitors!

I have the older Yamaha EMX88S and I have used the power amp when we needed three monitors.