1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can you convert a contour switch into an active/passive toggle?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I've been looking into getting a second bass soon, and I'm thinking about getting a Squier Deluxe Jazz V. Price wise its where I need it to be, and I've been reading good things about it. The only problem is that its always active, and sometimes I prefer a simple passive setup. The controls on it are volume, blend, a 3-band EQ, and a slap contour switch. Would it be possible to have a tech change that contour switch to an active/passive switch like on the American Deluxe? And if so, is it a difficult procedure?
  2. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

Yes, if the pickups are passive a tech could do this for you.
  3. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

In the little bit of research I've done, it seems they are active pickups with an active EQ. Would I also have to replace the pickups to be able to do this?

I'm trying to find something that I can play both Miles Davis and The Roots (or even more modern hip hop) on.
  4. WalterBush

WalterBush

The pickups in the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V are NOT active. A competent tech should be able to install a passive/active switch.
  5. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

You can certainly change the switch so that it bypasses the preamp. This is fairly easy for a tech to do. You will not get a passive mode tone control this way and you may lose your volume control as well (that depends on the details of how this preamp is wired and I don't know them). Putting in passive mode tone and volume controls would be more work and money and maybe it will require some compromises to find a way to add two extra pot elements to provide these functions.
  6. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    EDIT: I was wrong

Here's the diagram:

http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/squier/Squier_DeluxeActive_JazzBassV_SISD.pdf

The volume is the last thing to go to the jack, so you'd have to change a lot about the wiring. It's possible, but kinda involved.

Here's what I'd do...
    1) Get a 500k push/pull pot and widen the volume hole to 3/8"
    2) Follow Aguilar's diagram for a bypass switch wired into the OBP-3
    3) For reference:
    Squier PINK = BLUE Aguilar
    Squier BLUE = GREEN Aguilar
    Squier WHITE goes to the + on the jack (so leave it there)

If you rewire it this way, it will have a push/pull for active/passive on the VOLUME and it will still make sound in passive mode.

[​IMG]