1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can you cut a bass string to fit?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DEMCMusic, Feb 4, 2014.

1. DEMCMusic

DEMCMusic

Disclosures:
    Manager, Draisen Edwards Music Center, Marietta GA
    Hello: I work in a music store and am a professional pianist. I have a question regarding bass strings. Is it possible to use a large size bass string on a smaller bass by cutting the length of the string to fit? Does a 1/2 Bass use a different gauge string than a 3/4 or 7/8?

Thanks.

Tom
  2. kevteop

kevteop

Bass guitar strings for a standard (34") scale don't tend to work very well on shorter scales, no.

Edit: Depends on the scale of course. They'll be OK on a 32" or 30" scale. But 1/2 scale? No.

If this is a misplaced thread that relates to double basses: Some DB strings don't cope very well with being cut, which is why manufacturers usually sell a variety of strings for different scale lengths. I wouldn't advise cutting them.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

1/2, 3/4, etc are upright bass terms. Electric basses are talked about in inches.

If you're talking about shortening wrap length so that thick long scale strings will fit around small post tuners on shorter scale instruments without breaking, some people do that successfully. Others ruin strings that way.
  4. DEMCMusic

DEMCMusic

Disclosures:
    Manager, Draisen Edwards Music Center, Marietta GA
    Referring to upright or double bass. Yes, talking about shortening wrap length. Appreciate the quick response.