Can you get an aggressive sound from a Fodera?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Wilson, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Just wondering, can anyone tell me if they can get or have heard a Fodera with an aggressive sound?

I have only heard them sounding very clean, lovely sounding, but clean. No growl or anything.
    So to what I have heard, they would sound great for R&B, Jazz, latin, funk etc, but what about for rock or metal?

Anyone?
  2. tehbassist

tehbassist

No... No the fodera's are designed only to be non-aggressive basses.

Yup yogurt and granola only for the fodera's. I had a buddy who's fodera was a conscientious objector in nam.

So to answer your question sans-sarcasm. yes. I'm positive you can make a fodera sound "aggressive", whatever that means...
  3. Duckwater

Duckwater

Put some high tension SS rounds on any bass setup with low action, and play it with an aggressive attack through a mid-present setup.
  4. nickbass79

nickbass79

5. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

Cheers. But you know how all basses are different, different sounds etc, some naturally are more aggresive sounding than others. I just haven't heard enough to be able to tell. And I know there are a lot of Fodera owners/lovers on here and thought they could help.
  6. nickbass79

nickbass79

My Fodera is the most versatile bass I have ever owned. I can get a great aggressive tone for rock, smooth tone for jazz, punch for funk and every other tone I need for bluegrass and country. Jason worked with me for months to get the right wood combo for me and he does this for ALL customers.
  7. Molan

Molan

I know a guy that used an Anthony Jackson 5 string in a very heavy three piece band - bass, drums & vocals.

He ran the AJ through a compressor and distortion pedal and it sounded very, very agressive and huge!
  8. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira

Fodera basses vary quite a lot, but generally speaking, there's a series of design particularities that don't make a Fodera bass a special bass for aggressive tone and playing.

Most of Fodera pickups are custom wound relatively cold, so they can sound more balanced and ring more.

Fodera basses use compound radius, which means the strings will be closer to the frets in the higher frets than on a bass with cylindrical radius. This feature helps playability and solo dexterity but if you play hard there's more room for fretbuzz.

Neck-thru and set-neck construction lack some punch right at the beginning of the note if compared to a bolt-on bass. I know Fodera makes bolt-ons as well, but that's not what they're known for.

All in all, you'll have an easier time finding a truly aggressive tone on a hot pickup, cylindrical radius, bolt-on bass, like a P or a Stingray than on most Foderas, but as a true Custom Shop, Fodera will make pretty much anything you want if you're willing to pay the price.
  9. spade2you

spade2you

It's hard to be more aggressive than EMG P/J pickups.
  10. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira

You think so?

To my ears EMGs are extremely polite and low output pickups. That's actually how EMG advertises them if you haven't noticed.

I don't hear much aggression in Wooten's tone. As a matter of fact, if you listen to SMV it becomes very clear how huge Miller's Fender sounds compared to Wooten's Fodera...
  11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    While talking tone is always a challenge, I don't consider "aggressive" and "huge" to be the same thing.

I can get a very aggressive sound out of my EMG/Pope PJ setup. Victor routinely gets plenty of nastiness out of his basses. You must be listening to different things...or perhaps you have an agenda. Oh wait...
  12. ubone

ubone

the short answer is NO!!! Foderas can only sound nice and passive peaceful. Aggression is not built into them.
  13. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira

I don't have an agenda.

I can get an aggressive tone out of a Hofner, but it'll require a trick or two. A Stingray will do it effortlessly...

Fodera shines in many things, mostly the unmatched playability, aesthetics and overall finesse. If Foderas were particularly aggressive basses they would have built such a reputation in 30 years in the business...
  14. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

I think it's the player that lets the bass sound agressive ;)
  15. spade2you

spade2you

EMGs don't sound aggressive and your Hohner does. I think we're done here.
  16. MarthaSamira

MarthaSamira

Please read again. It's not so poorly written that you can't understand it.
  17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

The most aggressive pups I've ever used were EMG's. Go figure, right?
  18. Sliide90027

Sliide90027

Yes, But you have to spend months selectign the Right woods, and then just go get something else.

But I play through a BP-8 so what do I know?

Warwick
    Tobias
    Fodera
    Specter
    and even after waiting 22 years to finally play a Ken Smith top of the line

I was not impressed.

The problem is the neck throught thing. IMWO

Price and Specs - I am cured of that when it comes to the instruments. They have to be heard, unless it is a bolt on.

So, you bought the Farm, well now just bite the bullet and ignore the poor preamp design. Now:

A. proceed directly to adjustable frequency graphic EQ and select 200Hz and Boost that puppy 2-5 db.

B. Turn the volume on your preamp section on the Amp to 1.5-2

C. Turn your Master Vol all the way up.

WARNING - Touch Lightly

Yes, you can thank me later. $200 would be nice.
  19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'll let you know Monday night after I get my Viceroy-shape. I selected a mahogany body, koa top and ebony 'board specifically to get a more aggressive tone than my walnut Emperor. I use my Emperor in my acoustic trio for its somewhat reserved tone. My plan is to use the Viceroy-shape in my classic rock band.

The Emeror can get a decent aggressive tone when rolled to the bridge pickup and a little mid boost. With metal, I'm sure it would work with the requisite effects pedals. (In the "Does wood make a difference ..." thread it was established that wood does not matter in metal.
  20. Dan B

Dan B

For what it's worth I tried a Fodera YYS and did various licks ranging from funk to metal. Seemed to be quite aggressive in all categories.