1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can you get cymbal "swells" with electronic drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I've had a couple of lower end electronic drum kits and was happy with the supplied patches. The only problem I had was cymbal swells. With the kits I had you just get "crash crash crash crash crash" with the sounds overlapping (and sucking big time.) So, building up in a ballad or the big finish to a song was not cool at all. Is it possible to do this at all with an electronic kit?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    With kits that have individual outputs per instrument, you can put a volume pedal on the crash output. With kits that only have mono/stereo output, you can use a MIDI expression pedal to control the MIDI volume of the crash trigger. It still won't be realistic or nice sounding, but it can be adequate for a demo track. To get better results, use a sample of a cymbal swell, instead of a sample of a regular struck crash.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    bongomania has it right. Suspended cymbals are one of the most expressive instruments in a rock band. Electronics do many things well, but emotion is not high on the list.