1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can you own a dog on a military base/while in the military?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WarofAges, Jan 21, 2009.

1. WarofAges

WarofAges Guest

Ive always known I'm going to join the military (most likely air force), and the only reason I didnt when i turned 18 was i wanted to play in my band a bit longer. I still am going to join, but im going to get all my general education done at a community college and play with my band for another year or two, then when im ready to transfer to a CSU, i was gunna do a 2-4 year enlistment to take advantage of the GI bill.

But my biggest concern right now is I got black lab puppy a ciouple of months ago ( he's now 9 months). I already know its gunna be a pain in the butt just trying to find an apartment with him, so what am i gunna do with him? he wont even let me out of his sight and we are both attatched, so i think there is no way in hell im gunna get rid of him.

Are you even alowed to have dogs on a military base? What if I get deployed some where? I know there are quite a few military bassists here, did any of you guys have a pet, or had friends with pets while in the military? Whatd yall do?

This is the one thing bugging me in the back of my mind.
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    You can own a dog if you live on a military base - in family housing. If you live in the barracks (dorms if you're in the Air Force), you cannot. however, you might be able to live off base, in an apartment that allows pets.

If you get deployed, someone will have to take care of your dog for you. Just like if you had a kid and were a single parent - have a plan.

You can't take him to basic with you, so there's two months (not including tech school) that you will have to be without him. By that point, he will be attached to his caretaker. Trust me, dogs are resilient - don't stake your future plans on a dog. You will regret it.

This, coming from a long time dog owner.
  3. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Good advice from Pacman. Here's another option to consider: Become a military dog handler. That's what I did (many, many years ago from '68 - '72). Working with dogs helped me maintain my sanity, although some would argue that fact...
  4. neurotictim

neurotictim

I own (or am owned by, depending on who you ask) three dogs, three cats, a few fish, and around a dozen or so snakes.

Pacman summed it up nicely - don't expect to take your dog with you to basic, advanced training, or on deployment, or in the barracks (if you live in the barracks), otherwise you'll be fine. Most military housing has rules that follow along with local law - i.e. weight limits, breed restrictions, etc. - but that's no different from civilian side. Be sure you're very clear on the rules and comply with them.
  5. tplyons

tplyons

I grew up with my parents in the Air Force, we always had dogs in family housing.
  6. WarofAges

WarofAges Guest

yeah, i wasnt expected him with me during basic...but i was just thinking of how much a hassle it would or would not be.

also, if you live off base or in housing, dont you get an allowance? and isnt the housing for familys only?
  7. Pacman

Disclosures:
    Housing is for families only. SOMETIMES you can live off base and get an allowance. Most services/installations have a rank threshold for this. ("You must be THIS important to live off base") If you live in family housing, you don't get an allowance - you get family housing.
  8. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy

When I was in Panama I had a cat in my room in the barracks for a few weeks...

A guy was PCSing and had to stay a couple of weeks after his wife and all his house stuff got sent, he moved into the barracks in the mean time and was in my room. We found him a good home with an Air Force family...
  9. sgtdemeo

sgtdemeo

Disclosures:
    I AM the man with the plan
    first of all, dont bet on living off post for quite some time if you are a single person, and if you are married, don't hold your breath for family housing.. there is quite the wait list for it. especially until you get rank. TRUST ME... as a single soldier, you will NOT have time for a dog. especiallly since there is kinda aWAR going on right now.. your time is gonna be kinda filled up... uncle samknows how to get his moneys worth out of you, you know.
  10. armywalaby

armywalaby

Hey Pacman, is the AF like the Army where if you don't have a family care plan for your children they give you the option of separation?
  11. Pacman

Disclosures:
    sgtdemeo - the Army and the Air Force are quite different, but you're on the right track here.

armywalbaby - no.
  12. shank235

shank235

When I was in the navy you had to be an E-5 to recieve a housing allowance. I still spend a lot of times on ships with my civilian career and I think there are some exceptions for E-4s now. E-3 and below you are still living on the ship or in barracks where pets would not be allowed. Another thing to consider is that I was stationed at Pearl Harbor and shipping a pet from the main land had a ridiculous quarantine time. I don't think I could stomach my pet sitting in a quarentine shelter for a couple of months.
  13. capnsandwich

capnsandwich

IME, you can only have pets while in family housing or you lived out on the economy (off base.) In the Marines, you had to be at least E5 or above to live off base. Unless you had a family or friends that lived close by, I'd suggest not getting a pet, especially if your MOS requires you to be deployed for months at a time, such as mine did in the Marines. I've seen too many great dogs and cats end up in the kennel for months at a time because of unexpected deployments. Also, if you are deployed overseas for any length of time, there is a quarantine time for animals coming from and going to different countries. I know when my dad was an officer in the AF, we had a dog when we went to Germany but the dog had to stay in quarantine for over a month before we were able to have him live on base housing with us. Just another hassle if you love pets.

Edit: Sorry, just read your post after I posted mine.
  14. shank235

shank235

No problem. It's good advice.
  15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

what does that mean? just curious.
  16. neurotictim

neurotictim

In some rare cases, service members are either single parents or have exceptional family members that require constant care, and realistically can't be deployed without serious detriment to that family member or dependent.

99.9% of the time, the service member has other family, friends, godparents, whatever, that can and will happily take care of the dependents.

That other .01% of the time, though, when there really IS no one who can do the job, the service member can be given the option of separation - it's called a "hardship discharge."

These are typically VERY few and far between, though, and if it's known that you're going to have this issue, you won't be allowed to enlist - if you can't deploy for long periods of time, you're of little use to the US military.
  17. Pacman

Disclosures:
    I should say that in the AF, you *must* have a family care plan. No options. Pay someone, or have family, but if you fit into the above category (single parent, EFMP, or married mil-to-mil) you absolutely must have a family care plan.
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

thanks for the clarification, didn't know that. :).
  19. M@ddest_H@tter!

M@ddest_H@tter!

As far as the Air Force is concerned you must be an E-4 (Senior Airman) and have 3 years of Time in Service in order live off base. You will recieve a housing allowance, the amount depends on the cost of living where you are stationed.

If I may say quite frankly, DO NOT COME TO SHAW AFB.....DO NOT COME TO SHAW AFB! STAY OUT OF MAINTENANCE! Unless you like working weekends, and puttin up with tons of micro managing and having a fist with no KY as I like to refer to it.

However I will say that your decision to join the Air Force is a smart one. No offense to the other branches for they are our brothers in the defense of our nation, and I give them all credit due. Air Force is the way to go, we have the best quality of life and the shortest deployments (for the time being).