1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

can you replace bass pick ups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassing charlie, Aug 6, 2006.

1. bassing charlie

bassing charlie

i have a fender precision with 1 Standard Precision Bass Split Single-Coil Pickup (Mid).

just wondering, could it be changed? or maybe more pick ups added?

2. thebassclef

thebassclef

Um, Yea. :) Do a search on the threads, and you'll come up with Alot of info on this.

Edited to add the smiley to show that it was just in fun. No Disrespect Meant.

3. boonerstreet

boonerstreet

Yes you can replace your stock pickup with any aftermarket precision bass pickup. As for other pickups, you would have to cut into the wood so they could fit. Other pickups have a different shape. As long as you make sure you get a precision bass pickup it will fit with no problems. Ask your local guitar store about p bass pickups and they should be able to help you out. Next time try using the search button on the blue bar near the top of the page for your questions.

4. bassist 4 life

bassist 4 life

Yes, this is what this forum is about, pickups, discussing them, installing them, and electronics...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bigd4207

bigd4207

YOU CAN REPLACE THEM!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Haha, I can't believe somebody actually asked that, but sereiously, you could replace a flamed top or something if you really wanted to. Pickup changes are EASIER than changing a tire.

7. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Thanks for the courteous and helpful response, bassist 4 life.
    No need to be insulting bigd- try posting useful information next time instead of making the community look bad. How many 15 year olds have experience with wiring and electrical modifications? I have seen "pros" screw up pickup installations, so isn't quite so cut and dry.

Charlie, there are several companies that make aftermarket pickups available for a P bass, including EMG, Seymour Duncan, and plenty of others. The wiring skematic usually comes with the pickups, but it shoudl be pretty straightforward if it is a direct replacement with the same type. Almost every topic you can think of has been covered in teh last 6+ years the edition fo TB has been up, so please try a few different search terms as your first method of finding answers. It is usually the fastest way to get the information you want.

8. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Thank you 5stringDNA. I couldn't have said it better myself. And I was thinking about it.

Enjoy your time here, and welcome, bassing charlie.

dcr

9. bkief1

bkief1

Charlie,

As other posters have noted, yes, you can replace the pickup in your bass.

My question(s) would include for you to ask yourself before you spend some $$$ on the pickup; 1) what don't you like about the sound of your bass/pickup you currently use, and 2) what is your goal/target sound that you hope to achieve by installing a new pickup?

You can also install some new volume & tone pots, change/experiment with the value of the capacitor on the tone pot and keep the pickup you already have. This costs less $$$ and various cap values will allow to see their impact on the tone.

Just some food for thought so you don't spend $$$ and not realize your goal. I've learned this from past experience and I wish to advise you not to make mistakes many of us on the forum have done (sometimes repeatedly) in the past!

10. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123 Supporting Member

On a bass, you can practically change anything you'd like to. Pickups are one of the easiest thing to change. But... if you're searching for a tone, please try strings first. I cannot tell you how many times I've been dissappointed with a bass and thrown a set of new strings from Brand X or whatever and have loved it.

In the electronic depot. you can change preamps and pickups, and even type of pickups. You could technically add a Jazz or MM pickup or another P to the brigde if you REALLY wanted to. If for some reason you've sorta decided you NEED to change your pup, I'd reconmend a nordstrand NP4, they are AMAZING. Pickups come in some interesting sorts, active and passive. Active means it requires a battery to power it basically. Preamps can also be passive or active, same thing about the battery. They usually run on 1 or 2 9volt batterys. An active circuit will give you an onboard equalizer of your choice. Some say "active" pickups sound hi-fi, and some don't.

hope this helps you.
    Dan

11. bigd4207

bigd4207

Sorry not trying to be an A-hole. I guess I was just under the assumption that it is general knowledge. Especially if you just take a glance at the pickups and electronics forum, kinda explains itself. By the way BASSING CHARLIE, as far as changing them out, there are different kinds of pickups you will need to watch out for. Yours being a standard I am sure is passive, you need to look for this when selecting pups or you will have to add a preamp as well. Frankly at this point in your adventure, I would suggest keeping it passive, whole lot less to mess with, especially when wiring. The other, of course is active which uses a 9 volt battery to power the pickup's EQ, or the knobs if you will. Of course different pickups produce different sounds so do some research before you settle on a brand. Trying to install a different style of pickups is USUALLY a huge project and an even bigger headache. In my opinion, if you ever get a different bass, go for soapbar style pickups. It's really an all in one design, some use p style magnet bars to recreate P bass, plus Jazz bass single coils, which are usually part of a dual coil soap with a coil switch giving all kinds of versatility. You can get ANY kind of pickup in the form of a soapbar. Superior in my mind. As far as your P goes, it seems most people lean towards Seymour Duncan 1/4 pounders, EMG's are really bright for a P sound, usually better suits J's. I really don't go outside these brands other than in house stuff like my Ibanez DFR - Dynamic Full Range pickup. Also, a lot of newbies don't know about them, but Peizo pickups. Peizo pickups are what you find in an acoustic - electric, they use a crystal that produces sound depending on pressure on the crystal. They put these in the bridge, and I am not positive but I believe they make a Peizo bridge for just about any instrument, which most are the same bridge design within the same company like Fender, most the bridges are the same, they use different ones for low range basses, intermediate, and your high dollar basses, but I think all Fenders are covered for Peizos. However, you may have to add a preamp to make this work making the bass active. But like my Ibanez EDA, the magnetic soapbar pickup is passive, just adding an active preamp which means if you hook up the pickup directly to the output jack, it will still work. ACTIVE pickups, always gotta have a battery. Just some things to look for. Again, sorry for being an A-hole, we were all there at one point, SOME OF US STILL ARE.

12. Basswalker1

Basswalker1

I have a 5 String Pedulla Rapture, it's a great stage bass but very difficult to dial in in the studio and with certain amp and speaker configurations. It's very frustrating because I have to work extremely hard at getting the sound I desire. I love the neck and feel of the bass and am wondering can I change the pickups and electronics to the dirty single coil Fender Standard Jazz?