1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can you take a look at this neck pocket gap?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MicG, Dec 30, 2013.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Squier Affinity 4 Jazz body

Squier (2013) Vintage Modified Maple Neck

The purpose of this build is for a fairly cheap backup bass. I understand that the workmanship of some of these components might be "questionable" (no disrespect towards Squier instruments).

What I have is a gap on one side of the heel approx 8 standard white copy papers thick according to my extremely scientific methodology:bag:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other side is flush against the neck. The neck itself does not move but has yet to have string installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've searched around- am I in over my head here? Is this within an acceptable range of measurement for a neck pocket? Any "symptoms" I should be aware of? General consensus seems to suggest that it'd work fine but I'm unsure.

Thanks

2. Zenon

Zenon

Just checked my 2009 Am. Std. P-bass.

On the lower side (as you hold the bass), there is absolutely no gap.

On the upper side, there is enough gap for three light/thin A4 sheets (80 gr/m2).

Perhaps you could email Fender and ask what they consider to be an acceptable tolerance between neck and body...

3. pfox14

pfox14

What did you expect from a Squier.

4. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

not a very informed or helpful response.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    It's a Squier Affinity which is Fender's cheapest line. No offense but you get what you pay for. Still a nice bass for the money. Much better than any inexpensive basses available when I started playing in the 1970s.

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

String it up before making any decisions. There is no way to know that the neck is correctly aligned with the bridge until this procedure is complete.

Post your findings. Someone will help.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

9. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Good idea, with the string under some tension, I'm sure it'd be easier to make a fine adjustment to the alignment...

10. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Not true. I have an Affinity Jazz 5 that has a tighter neck pocket than some of my Fenders. Every single one is an individual and none of the variations makes any difference to the playability or sound.

11. elBandito

elBandito

A squier, cheapest one at that, has a gap in the neck pocket. So what was the problem?

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Aesthetics aside, I don't think a gap in the neck pocket is of any consequence with a bolted neck.

13. Shedua511

Shedua511

Disclosures:
    Agent for Scandinavian countries: Stick Enterprises Inc.
    Me neither.
    And "can you take a look at this neck pocket gap?" might be the best pickup line ever :D

14. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

I own 3 Musicman basses, an MIM Fender and a CV Squier P bass. My Squier is an awesome bass, not an awesome bass for a Squier, just an awesome bass on its own. It was built very well, far better than my MIM Fender and many USA Fenders I've played. I will proudly and confidently take my CV Squier to any gig.

As for the neck pocket, if the neck is stable and doesn't shift around I wouldn't worry about it. I had an Ibanez SR800 with a huge gap but the bass played well and had great sustain etc. It's not pretty but I just decided to not look at it an it was fine. :smug:

15. Joedog

Joedog

String it up and play it. If it plays well (after a set up) and sounds good, who cares.

"Does this bass make me look fat?"

16. neckdive

neckdive

A gap that size is not a problem other than the psychological thought that it is asymmetrical. The tension is not side to side and doesn't rely in the bottom or top of the pocket for neck tightness.

In fact you will find that, with a bit of a gap, when you bolt the neck on you can make small lateral adjustments to properly align the strings over the pup poles and line up the E and G strings to your liking.

17. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Speaking of pup poles and alignment, I'm now trying to figure out if this thing takes two of same sized neck pups or if the bridge is slightly longer as is standard with most J basses.

Still need to string it up but I'll keep updating.

18. og61pbass

og61pbass

your no help...:spit:

19. og61pbass

og61pbass

its a cosmetic issue dont worry about it unless your one of these guys that disects every build detail down to how many threads the tuner mounting screws have,Ive seen MIA Fenders with neck gap and those are pricey so if Fender isnt concerned about it why should anyone...

20. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Relax, folks. The following:

may be a jab a Squier, but they don't always conform to Fender specs, particularly Affinities.

That said, the gap is unsightly, but I've seen far worse. Hit the sides of the pocket with a black paint pen and you'll be fine.

21. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I was gonna say run a bead of bathtub caulk.

Just trying to use up a bunch of crap I found in my workshop over the weekend.

Riis