1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can you tell the difference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Can you hear the difference between these 2 basses?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dcEbiMaN-A
    To me, the bass with the rosewood fretboard has more low-mid presence and slightly less highs than the one with a maple fretboard.

Feel free to share your observations below!

Thanks,
    Bassdude15

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

If you go straight 1:25 and then 3:30 and click back and forth you can hear him starting the same slap riff.

I hear a difference.

3. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I can hear a difference. Might be because of the fretboard and might not be - each bass sounds different. But that video would have been much more effective if it had been edited so that the basses were played back to back for each setting. By the time time the guy gets to the rosewood bass it's difficult to be sure how the maple one sounded on the equivalent EQ setting.

4. Wesley R

Wesley R

Sure, maybe, I guess, kinda sorta, for the most part. Not enough to make me say OOO-AAhh I just have to have a particular wood for the fret board.

Now cram it through a stomp box or six, and through the FOH, and maybe not so much.

5. Register to disable this ad