1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can you use a Boss ME50B as a pre-amp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Jan 8, 2008.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

I was thinking about getting another ME50B cuz I need a tuner, a couple effects, and as a possible back-up/pre-amp to use with a power-amp that I leave in my car. Can you use this unit infront of a power amp??

thanks
  2. Oreomeister365

Oreomeister365

Its tone shaping abilities are pretty nice, I wouldn;t dabble with its compressor/limiter, but the EQ along with a mid frequency control I think get the job done nicely. It doesn't have any interesting things like presence or enhancement and stuff, but in general I don't see why not.
  3. wyleeboxer

I was thinking in terms of the output level into a power-amp, I believe it needs to be a lower line-out type of level to work?
    Thanks...
  4. wyleeboxer

Anyone else? Please...
  5. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

It's not gonna blow it up if thats what you mean. I'm pretty sure (if you don't care about tone shaping) you can plug your bass right on in and it will pump that signal out. I think (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the input impedence on the ME-50B would match up better with the power amp, but if you have an active bass then it doesn't matter.

I have never done this with any gear I own (only ever owned a head/combo amp) but have done it at a few pawn shops and it worked fine.
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What he's asking is not about blowing anything up, he's asking whether the ME50B can put out a line level signal. It's a very simple question, I just don't happen to know the answer.
  7. lposavad

lposavad Supporting Member

The ME-50B manual (I grabbed it online) says the output level is nominally -10dBu (which is 0.0775 volts into 10Kohms), with an output impedance of 2Kohms.

Based on the specs of my poweramp (QSC RMX1450; requires 1.15V/+3.4dBu to achieve full rated power) I'm guessing that the ME-50B may not have enough signal to drive a power amp directly to full rated power.

Here's another spec: the nominal input signal of the ME-50B is -10dB, which is the same as the nominal output level. So, the unit is designed for unity gain. You'll need a preamp in between the ME-50B and the power amp.

Does that help?
  8. wyleeboxer

Got it... that sucks I thought it would make a great back option just in case something happened... is there another multi-effects board that can act as a pre-amp if need be? I do up another thread to see.

Thanks guys!
  9. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

I think the Boss GT6B can do it. Needless to say it's a lot better sounding as well and it's got amp and speaker simulation as well. Many artists still use it live today. It's discontinued but can be found online (used).
  10. rtav

rtav

Yeah - In a studio situation recently I tried to use my ME-50B as a preamp and it doesn't work so well - I still needed to run it into a Sansamp BDDI and then the mixer.
  11. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member