Canada Rocks, Eh? The Official Empress Club

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adamixoye, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I am amazed there is not a club for this already, but a search didn't turn anything up. I now own more Empress pedals than anything else (Multidrive for over a year, a Heavy for Christmas, and I recently sold my MXR to fund the Empress Compressor). I love the sounds, colors, build, and tweakability. My favorite thing about them probably won't apply to everyone here, but they are truly a series of pedals that works as well on guitar as they do on bass, which is very important to me.

Club Numbers
    #1 - Adamixoye (Multidrive, Heavy, Compressor)
    #2 - bassburton (Tape Delay)
    #3 - loopee (Compressor)
    #4 - aledeville (Compressor)
    #5 - jimmybc91 (Compressor)
    #6 - Michedelic (Nebulus)
    #7 - Titania (Compressor, Multidrive)
    #8 - saxman_singcan (VMSD, Compressor)

I'll kick this off with my favorite settings:

Compressor:
    Basic Compression/Limiting
    Ratio: 10/1
    Input: noon
    Attack: noon
    Release: 2:30
    Mix: 2:30
    Output: 10:00
    I only got this last week, but so far this seems to be a sweet spot for adding sustain, controlling peaks, and generally evening things out while still allowing dynamics.

Multidrive
    Vintage Drive
    Channel(s): OD
    Drive: 2:00
    Volume: noon
    Hi: 1:00
    Low: 1:00
    Mid: 11:00
    Mid Freq: 500 Hz
    Filter: Off
    This might have more high end than what other people think of for "vintage," but I like this sound. It's when I want more of a "classic" overdriven, semi-transparent sound compared to my B7K.
    Fuzz
    Channel(s): Fuzz, OD (optional)
    Drive: 5:00 (max, fuzz), noon or less (OD)
    Volume: 1:00 (fuzz), 7:00 (off) to 3:00 (heavy blend, OD)
    Hi: 2:00
    Low: 1:00
    Mid: 8:00
    Mid Freq: 250 Hz
    Filter: Off (fuzz), Off or LP (OD)
    This is a nice Muff-y but still aggressive fuzz sound. The OD can be mixed in, or not. Good results running through a B7K, though it really changes the character. My B7K EQ is usually Low: 3:00, Treble 11:30, Low Mid: 9:00, High Mid 1:30, Grunt to FAT, Attack depending on my mood. You can run that with the Blend at 2:30, Level at noon, and Drive at 9:30 for a heavier, less fuzz-y sound, or Blend at 10:00, Level at noon, and Drive maxed for an interesting layered sound.

Heavy:
    Insane Drive
    Channel(s): Heavier
    Drive: 3:00
    Weight: 5:00 (max)
    Hi: 2:00
    Low: 2:00
    Mid: 10:00
    Mid Freq: 500 Hz
    Pretty good by itself, but for the best results, run through B7K with blend at 2:30, drive at 9:30, Grunt on FAT, Attack to taste, and the EQ listed above under the Multidrive Fuzz setting.
  2. Adamixoye

Hmm...I know clubs aren't everyone's thing, but I am a little surprised at zero response. I know there are a lot of satisfied users out there!
  3. Eadger

Eadger Supporting Member

Well I'll at least chime in and say that I was indeed a very satisfied user. My ParaEq was incredibly clean and versatile - I'd be quick to recommend it to anyone looking. Heck, I'd recommend it as a clean boost alone. Unfortunately, mine was stolen, so I have no place in the Empress club anymore.

Would be interested to see if there are any satisfied Germ Drive users.
  4. Adamixoye

That sucks. Sorry to hear that. I am realizing I can probably use the Compressor as a clean boost as well, if I need it for that, with the mix knob set fully CCW. So that's pretty cool.

My impression is that the OD component of the Multidrive is basically the same as the Germ Drive. I could be wrong on that, but if so, then THUMBS UP.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassburton

bassburton

I own the Empress Tape Delay. So I guess that makes me #2. I'm quite satisfied with it, it is amazingly warm and lush, as well as being easy to use. Mine is #87.
  7. Adamixoye

Okay, well two is a start! I would be very interested in checking out Empress's modulation and delay if I used those effects more and I didn't already have them covered.

Numbers are now being updated in the first post.
  8. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

I have the Compressor and thinking of getting the EQ
  9. Adamixoye

You're #3 unless you say otherwise!

Do you have any good Compressor settings?
  10. aledeville

aledeville

Love the compressor for being able to compress the **** out of the signal and then use the blend to add this to the main bass signal.
    So god damn lovely.

In fact I should have two. One as an overall compression and one just like described.
  11. Adamixoye

^You want a number?
  12. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

I loved my Empress Compressor when I had it (I don't anymore). I've also been interested in the Germ Drive for some time now, and even posted a few threads to see if anyone else was using it, but never seemed to get any responses. It is unclear whether or not it is the same as the Multidrive OD - it *probably* is, but no one seems to know for sure.

I'm sure I'll have some Empress in my future, but right now I'll just watch this club from the sidelines. Good to see it started up though! :)
  13. Adamixoye

Dan from Empress answered my power supply questions very promptly and clearly. I bet he would do the same for this question. questions@empresseffects.com
  14. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

Ill join, why not? Best compressor IMO, clean and does the job right.

Favorite setting:
    Ratio 4:1, Input 10:00, Attack 11:30, Release 1:00, Mix 1:00, Output 9:00.

I have a MB Mini Boost before the compressor, so when I boost it I get this nice squashed signal! Love that it doesn't degrade my tone at all!

I wish I had a use for the sidechain, such a cool feature being wasted away.
  15. Adamixoye

I'm just going to hand out numbers to anyone who says they currently own something, unless they specifically request not to have a number. If you don't post numbers in your signature that's fine, you can still have one.
  16. Adamixoye

In this video they explain how you can just solder a capacitor to a stereo pancake jack for a HPF on the side chain---so you don't get a huge "squash" if you hit a big low. This is actually something I might try at some point.
  17. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

I want one! :hyper:

I've seen the video before, but honestly the MIX knob for me does justice just fine. But I might get bored some day and try it out just to see if it makes a noticable difference. :)
    Oh! and I have the SFX Microthumpinator before it, so that's another reason why I haven't tried it, I am not pushing a lot of "too low" frequencies in there.

I have wanted to experiment on using the sidechain for liking some thumping action, just haven't thought of an excuse to do it. haha :(
  18. Adamixoye

I've got you at #5...
  19. Michedelic

Michedelic

I've got two of the recent Nebulus, which seems to have met with indifference around here. Why, I don't know, as it's a very respectable unit in the right application. It covers all the standard modulation needs very well, with the exception of the Leslie simulator(kinda meh, but you can get to decent vibe/phaser settings). I use one in my 'B' bass pedal board; if real estate and/or simplicity is an issue, it's quite useful as a 'jack-of-all-trades' box. Low end loss is minimal, there's just the right amount of preset stations(and if you only use three or four presets, that's all you have to step through), and the function chart on the side is a great help. You're not gonna get a lot of crazed dubstep stuff out of it, but that's not the point...that's when you have a big board with multiple mod boxes. How it stacks up against the Source Audio Orbital I don't know, I'm sure there's trade-offs between the two besides the price points, but it works for me. My other one I use on my guitar board in tandem with a Strymon Mobius in a tag-team fashion(along with an Eventide Timefactor), and that covers just about everything. So, what's my number?
  20. Adamixoye

You're #6! (I'm updating a post above.)

The Nebulus definitely looks cool. I have a Modfactor to cover my modulation needs---which aren't that significant, the Modfactor is probably overkill for me---otherwise I might consider it. As I said in the first post above, I'm not too surprised to see another bass/guitar combo player is a fan of Empress...

21. loopee

loopee Gold Supporting Member

#3 it is ....thanks

right now I have it set to:
    Input and output both set around 10 (but I've been playing plugged into my amp with headphones)
    attack 9-10
    release 2-3
    mix 10
    ration 4:1

but that's not my usual setting (can't remember what my usual is as I don't use that board often)