1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Canadian Buyers? Buying Online?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Sumalu, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Sumalu

Sumalu

So i am looking into buying my first new bass there is just a few issues, I live in Canada and its the middle of winter. Reason tells me i should wait until warmer months to buy from local shops but i was also wondering if any Canadian players had purchased online and had basses shipped from outside Canada into the country. What was the experience like? Did the instrument suffer? would you recommend it?
  2. neal davis

neal davis

I haven't had any issues, where are you located in Canada? There are plenty of great local shops as well.
  3. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

Also being in Canada, I echo Neal's question of "where are you located?"

As for waiting for warmer months to shop at local shops, bass players and basses don't hibernate for the winter. Shops are still doing plenty of business in the winter time and the only concern you should really have is humidifying the space at home where the bass will be living, which needs to happen regardless to where the bass comes from. You should also be purchasing a padded bag regardless of the season.

On that note, It would be even more dangerous to shop online and have an instrument shipped in the winter. Depending on where it is coming from and how quickly it is being shipped, the bass will have to spend a considerable amount of that transit on a non-climate controlled truck, or possibly plane, train, ship etc. which would be far more dangerous for the health of the instrument.

If there are local shops that you are aware of, go check them out. If not, let us know where you are and we can likely point you in the direction of something close to you. There are a few Canadians here spread out across the country, so we can likely find a bass shop relatively close to you.

Happy bass shopping!
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

How do they get the basses to the music stores?

Don't worry about the weather.
    I shipped a bass out last month. It was -19 F (not wind chill) when it went on the truck at 10:30 am and road around all day on the truck. It showed up in California with no problems.
  5. MikeCanada

MikeCanada

I'm not saying that it can't be done, that basses are never shipped in the winter etc. I am trying to say that the level of risk is higher because of the low temperatures and humidity at this time of year in winter climates. I assume that some music stores get instruments shipped to them during the winter as well. In that case, the music store is assuming that risk. If the bass cracks coming to them, that isn't the player who is shopping for a bass's problem.

An often given piece of advice here is to purchase an instrument that has lived in your climate for at least a year. Be that parts of Canada where seasons fluctuate wildly, or in the American Desert where it's a lot dryer than other climates etc. The idea is that if the bass is going to have problems with cracking, open seams, sunken tops etc. those problems should have worked themselves out in the first year or so. Plenty of basses do have problems after their first year, but it's generally a pretty big red flag if they have a lot of those problems early on.

Again, you can buy a brand new bass from the other side of the world and have it shipped through an ice age without having problems. You can buy a bass that was transported in absolutely perfect conditions, and it can fall apart on you. If you are worried about climate conditions though, winter tends to be more dangerous than other seasons for basses.
  6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    We're talking about double basses, not slabs! ;)