Canadian-isms

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kissmybASS01, Dec 28, 2013.

1. kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...leave-other-english-speakers-utterly-confused

A funny read. Some of the things I use on a regular basis such as:

Mickey

Used by 88% of Canadians

A 375 ml bottle of liquor. In the United States, the term “mickey” is slang term for a date rape drug, and 69% of Americans were unaware of its more benign Canadian usage. Mickey is actually one of a series of uniquely Canadian booze measurements revealed by the survey. “Two four” (a case of 24 beers), “twenty sixer” (a 750 ml bottle of liquor) and “forty-pounder” (a 1.14 liter bottle of liquor) were all virtually unknown outside the Great White North.

Toque

Used by 100% of Canadians

Virtually every culture with both cold weather and access to sheep has some national variant of the knit cap. The Afghans have the pakol, the U.S. Coast Guard supplies its crews with “watch caps” and Canadians, for half the year, wear “toques.” But while this was the only word on the survey that obtained unanimous usage among the Canadians, a majority of the non-Canadians said they had never even heard of it

Robertson Screwdriver (far superior to Phillips imho)

Used by 92% of Canadians

Technologically superior to its wedge or Phillips-head cousins, the Robertson screw, invented by Ontarian P.L. Robertson, is ubiquitous on Canadian construction sites, yet only constitutes a fraction of all U.S. screw sales—purportedly because the screw was long-ago eschewed by carmaker Henry Ford. Thus, while respondents had probably encountered “square head” screws before, only 16% of Commonwealth respondents and 5% of Americans recognized the product’s technical name.

and while there's mention of the Homo (aka whole) Milk, there is no mention of the phenomenon that is bagged milk.
  2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I will not buy screws if they aren't Robertson, so much better than anything else out there. Red Robbie is a needed driver in every tool box.

lowsound
  3. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Not really 100%. We say tUque here, not toque.

I didn't know most of these despite having been technically canadian all my life. And we call Freezies Monsieur or Mister Freeze after the most popular brand.

Interesting to know pablum is a canadian invention.
  4. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I'll note, I had heard of all of them and have likely used all of them in the last 6-12 months.

lowsound
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. duff beer

duff beer

The Robertson is, by far, the best screw head design ever invented. I never buy any others.
  7. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

I've only used Roberson screws when working with Trex synthetic decking but always dug them. I also liked the way they looked too, on a deck at least. Just kinda cleaner looking to my eyes.
  8. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

So are those like otter pops?
  9. bmc

bmc

The Canadianisms extend to Quebec French and France French. Not only different accents, but different words, terminology and expressions. I will frequently say words in Quebec French that people over here don't have a clue what I'm saying. I have now been here so LNG that when I return to Montreal, I can't understand the locals.
  10. Richland123

Richland123

While I have been to Canada over 60 trips, I am very familiar with most of the Canadian terms mentioned. However, while I have seen Robertson screws, I never knew the name and called them square head screws. They are a much better design than other screws.
  11. Ironbar

Ironbar

Bob & Doug McKenzie should have kept on takin' off to the Great White North eh? Meybe then we'd all be more familiar!
  12. Timmah

Timmah

But while those two hose heads were around, we learned a lot about Canada, eh? (And how to get a free case of Molson with just a mouse and a bottle!)
  13. bmc

bmc

Americans are learning a lot about Canada's mayoral pride Rob Ford, these days, watching Rob Ford stuff his mouth with his feet.
  14. newbold

newbold

If you were in the USA you'd have an easier time finding torx drivers and screws.
  15. newbold

newbold

Phillips let Ford use their design for free while Robertson wouldn't give away his intellectual property. Phillips were designed for the aeronautical industry as they're designed to cam out if overtightened - they're meant to suck for anything but airplanes. (If you snap the head off a screw on something that's flying overhead it may fail and cause deaths...makes sense to me)
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

The french ones are more quebecisme than canadianisms. Obviously the average french person (i mean from france) cant understand half of what we say. I wonder why they still teach France's french to anglos in Canada when the odds are they'll only ever get to use french with french canadians and then realise with frustration that we don't speak the french they learned.
  17. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Never heard some of them.

Now a list of Quebec's expressions would be very interesting and colourful.
  18. ZenG

ZenG

We don't call stores "dry goods" stores up here...

Had an American couple ask me where there was a "dry goods" store....

I said "what is a dry goods store?"

They looked at me like I was nuts......
  19. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

I like torx and hex bolts personally. Ball-end hex wrenches are fantastic.
  20. ZenG

ZenG

They call rifles "long guns" up here
  21. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Spelt touque.

This thread is a beauty, eh? Take off you hoser. Back bacon is burning gotta go

Wait, if Americans call back bacon: Canadian bacon, shouldn't Canadians call American cheese: back cheese?

Beauty.

Edit, here's one.
    Bunny hug: A hoodie fleece pullover. Particular to areas in Saskatchewan.

A Social: Manitoba tradition. A party at a local community centre or hall to celebrate impending weddings, holidays, or to raise funds. Basically a dance where everybody gets wasted on cheap drinks.