Canadian Women's Hockey Team Takes GOLD!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Feb 20, 2014.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Hey everyone! Just wanted to congratulate the Canadian female hockey team on their gold medal win. It's day likes these when I am even more proud to be a Canadian. I'd also like to say to our neighbours to the South: Good game! It was a tough one.
  2. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Why does it make you more proud to be a Canadian?
  3. fmoore200

fmoore200

Caught the ot, period. Boy was it intense! That's the true spirit of sports, IMO. The faces on both sides after the winning goal showed both the joy of winning and agony of defeat.
  4. tplyons

tplyons

I was in a meeting with my VP who is Canadian... I was streaming the game on my laptop. He must have been too because I suddenly looked sad and he had a grin ear to ear.

But yes, well played by the Canadians. They apparently wanted it more!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fmoore200

fmoore200

Idk, it was on a power play, no?
  7. tplyons

tplyons

It was, but they were only on that power play because we took two penalties in a row. The Canadian team took advantage.

Not to mention we were up 2-0 in the 3rd. The Canadian ladies just weren't taking no for an answer.
  8. fmoore200

fmoore200

Ah.. I didn't see the third. :(
  9. tplyons

tplyons

Or the sudden death overtime where I was clearly on edge. I think my VP was on to me...

All I know is I'm taking my meetings in the break room so I can watch the men's game on the big screen!
  10. pbasswil

pbasswil Supporting Member

Congrats to the Amcn. team -- their defense was incredible! Our girls could barely _see_ the net, let alone score, for the first 2 1/2 periods.

Can't wait to watch the men on Friday!

- Peter (Montreal)
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  12. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Funny cause i was gonna comment on that and then didn't but like..i did start the winter olympics thread, and i do enjoy seeing the canadians win....but often i think why do i even care that some strangers i've never met playing a game i've never played (street hockey doesn't count besides i havent played that since i was a kid) win a gold medal? We're from the same country but what does their win have to do with me beyond that you know? I guess the government put money into Olympics athletes programs and i helped fund some of that with taxes? That's about as far as it goes...
  13. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I'm with you here, 100%. I root for the US in the Olympics, and I get emotional as I do with many sports, but I can't for the life of me feel pride for something that I didn't accomplish.
  14. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Hmm, I could see how it may be confusing to some why anyone would be proud of someone else's achievment. However, I love Canada with all my heart and I am a proud Canadian. When I watch the games and see that beautiful maple leaf, I can't help but feel proud. Then, when I see it being raised as my anthem plays and the athletes whom I share a special bond with are awarded for their efforts, it in turn makes me feel happy. As well, I'm usually not one to blabber on about human spirit and that crap, but seeing those women come back from 2-0 was just awesome!
  15. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

I can understand that 100%
    This is what I don't get. Were you born in another country and you made it a goal in life to become a Canadian citizen? Or, were you simply born there through no effort of your own?

[DEL]Maybe it's semantics; [/DEL]yes, it is semantics, but for me, what I would feel is happiness because you relate to the team that won. To me, pride can be associated with an accomplishment, not a random series of events (such as the act of birth taking place in a specific country). But, enjoy. Great win by the Canadian women's hockey team.
  16. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

It should have been a penalty shot for Wickenhiser, not a penalty. Scoring there would have been a great way to end her amazing career. For those that don't know, she is the Wayne Gretzky of woman's hockey, was the first woman to play professional men's hockey, all time leading scorer in international play, has four gold medals and one silver in the Olympics ect. This is likely her last Olympics and it would have been amazing to see her go out like that. Still awesome that we won.

lowsound
  17. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

About the feeling proud to be Canadian thing. In Canada, there is really the national feeling that hockey is Canada's game, even among people that don't like the sport. When a Canadian team goes out and proves it like the women did yesterday, it makes Canadian proud because we just proved that hockey is our game.

lowsound
  18. JimK

JimK

Canadiens-
    Researched some of the 1980 Miracle On Ice.
    Red Army/Soviets were the elite…followed by the the Czechs, Swedes.
    Team USA (Rizzo' s own words) were, in all reality, a 5th place finisher.
    Team Canada was not even mentioned. No Professionals (cough-cough) at the time…I would think no Junior League players, either… so who were the players on Team Canada in 1980?
  19. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

Let's all raise up a glass of maple syrup to them
  20. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Junior players, minor professional players, college players and anyone that felt they could take a year off from the NHL to play, see Sean Burke in 1994.

If the NHL doesn't go to the Olympics, Canada doesn't have much of a shot because all our best players play in the NHL. Russia and Sweden will rule without the NHL there as they have professional leagues that will shut down for two weeks where the play is just slightly below the level of the NHL.

Remember, Canada is only ranked fifth internationally for men's hockey, second for woman's.

lowsound
  21. JimK

JimK

Wow, woulda thought Team Canada as #1 (with the Canadien NHL players available).
    I recall Sean Burke in '94…he was holding out & not playing in the NHL at the time, right?
    I guess I'm out of the loop 'cause I really just assumed USA would beat Russia in these Games. After the win, the media here were on the brink of dubbing it "Miracle On Ice, Part Deux"…

A big part of me prefers using "students" & taking on the Euro-pros. Makes it even sweeter if you beat them. But it's all about the $ & winning = more $$.
    :)