Cancelling a bass build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dudi8, Mar 20, 2014.

1. dudi8

dudi8 Supporting Member

Hi!
    i recently ordered a bass by a luthier and in the invoice and by what we spoke about, it should take up to 6 months to finish and i paid the deposit, now its been almost a year and its not even close to be complete, do you think i can cancel it and ask for my deposit back?

Thanks for the help!
  2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

That's what I would do.
  3. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    It depends on who the luthier is and the terms to which you agreed. Is there an invoice or contract that has language about timeline?

I'd want to cancel with that kind of delay, but not if I had to give up a large deposit.
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

You can cancel but you probably will not get your deposit back.
    That is what deposits are for, to pay for the materials and to keep the customer from backing out of the deal.
  5. kcole4001

kcole4001

This.
    It depends on the specific deal you made, but if the work's already started, you likely won't get your deposit back.
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Yes, BUT, most states have some form of consumer protection law that gives the consumer some legal recourse when the seller doesn't deliver in a reasonable/appropriate timeframe. If the invoice says "within 6 months" and there is no delivery after 12 months, then the buyer is probably within his rights to get his deposit back, even if the invoice says the deposit is non-refundable.
  7. dudi8

dudi8 Supporting Member

the invoice says "estimated completion time - 24 weeks"
  8. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Estimated?? That's the only language used?

Congratulations, you're the owner of a new custom-made bass!!! Whenever it's ready, that is. Unless you forego your down payment, of course....
  9. Ponsonby_Britt

Ponsonby_Britt

If you think the bass is one you will want to keep for the foreseeable future, then it might make sense to continue to wait. Although I'll bet it feels like a NYC-to-LA marathon...and you're in Cincinnati. :scowl:
  10. AndyW83

AndyW83

That's ridiculous.. You are definitely entitled to your money back in my opinion. Your invoice should have an estimated delivery date on it. If it's six months past that it warrants the asking if a refund
  11. jlepre

jlepre

12. bound'n'blocked

bound'n'blocked

Builder's last name isnt Huff by any chance is it?

J/K

BnB
  13. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I wonder if Hungary is one of those states?
    BioWeapon and hover like this.
  14. ux4484

ux4484

Back in '89 I ordered a custom G&L, waited 18 months (was originally told 6-9) at the outset). In early '91 I asked for my deposit back from the shop, they said it was being built, but refunded my deposit feeling secure they could sell it... And sell it they did... A month after Leo passed, they sold it for almost double what I was to pay.
  15. Immigrant

Immigrant

First, prior to getting it built, I would've researched other's experiences when getting a custom (maybe you did), and realized that "estimated" completion time is extremely flexible in most cases.

Now that you've ordered it and the estimated delivery time has long lapsed, other factors need to be considered that weren't stated in the OP.

How has contact been? Does he return calls and/or emails? Have you seen photos of progress or seen it in person? Is the bass two weeks from completion? Do you get your deposit back if you cancel?

Those are all things you should consider while pondering cancellation. I've had only one custom built and even though the builder only missed the deadline by a few weeks (probably my fault for the finish choice I made), we kept in contact and progress photos were always posted on his website.

Good luck with your dilemma!
    Lackey likes this.
  16. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

I had the same thing happen to me. I waited 15 months and when I got it, it was not what I ordered. After months of telelphone calls and arguements we reached an agreement and I received a partial but large refund. Six years later, I love the bass.

I know this does not help you but, if I were you I would wait it out but call or email for regular updates. Keep on them.
  17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Asking for your money back, being entitled to your money back and getting your money back are three different things. :D

Good luck.
  18. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

How are them laws working for Darin Huff customers????
  19. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I've ordered several builds and, with very few exceptions, the delivery time was later than originally quoted. The thing is, if the builder you're dealing with is a very small operation (and is at all in demand) then it's probably going to take longer than six months to complete your build. And some luthiers are more "optimistic" than others when it comes to estimated delivery dates. Why do you want to terminate the build? Are you scared that you're being taken for a ride? Have you changed your mind about the kind of bass you want? Are you wanting to make a point by letting the luthier know that tardiness will not be tolerated?
  20. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I have no idea. Have any of them invoked the law (e.g. by filing a complaint with the State's Attorney, or by filing a law suit) to attempt to get help?