candy colors

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Joe Milo, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Fellas,

I have a few noob questions.....

I would like to change my blizzard pearl Fender MIM PJ bass to either candy green or candy orange..... I'm leaning towards orange.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psCandyCoat/

The above link says to use a silver base coat. I personally think a gold base coat would look better for green or orange.....Maybe silver base coat for candy apple?

What is a preval? How would I use it? How do you load the paint into a preval? I do have access to a large air compressor and my father in law has a descent automotive spray gun. Which is the better option....preval or auto spray gun?

Thanks for any and all ideas and answers.....
  2. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

I believe gold is commonly used under red to produce a candy red color.
    A preval sprayer is basically a spray can which you load whatever paint you want into it. It has a 6oz. glass jar that screws on below an air charged unit with a trigger similar to a rattle can.
    If you've never used a real spray gun before I'd recommend using a preval, it's easier prep and cleanup.
  3. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

I have some experience using an air brush.....I paint duck hunting decoys......I do believe you that a preval would be much easier using.........

How do you charge the preval with air? Do you have to buy pre charged air canisters or can i charge it with my own air compressor?

Thanks for the quick answer!
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If you have access to a spray gun I would deal with the learning curve vs using a Preval sprayer, You would have to use alot of thinner for it to spray at all, and I doubt you could get a very even coat with it.

I have used that Duplicolor finish before, I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It stays very soft, and does not spray well. In this case I think you would be better off with rattle cans vs that product.
  5. Beej

Beej

Silver basecoat is basically colourless in a candy finish. If you bring gold in, you'll just introduce yellow into the overall colour. I had to learn that one the hard way... :)
  6. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

Look at a House of Kolor Candy chart. That will give you an idea of how the base causes the topcoat to change.

If you look at my bike here: http://cincitycustoms.com/The_Projects/Pages/VN800.html#3

It is a gold base with blue alost purple candy. I sprayed a few test paneles with light and darker silvers, gold and red bases. Each one turned the candy into a totally different color.

If your into air brush then look at autoair colors they may have something you can use and it's all water based.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autoaircolor/auto-air-colors.aspx?gclid=COjIvqjk2bMCFegWMgodKkwAQw