1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

candy colors

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Joe Milo, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Fellas,

I have a few noob questions.....

I would like to change my blizzard pearl Fender MIM PJ bass to either candy green or candy orange..... I'm leaning towards orange.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/psCandyCoat/

The above link says to use a silver base coat. I personally think a gold base coat would look better for green or orange.....Maybe silver base coat for candy apple?

What is a preval? How would I use it? How do you load the paint into a preval? I do have access to a large air compressor and my father in law has a descent automotive spray gun. Which is the better option....preval or auto spray gun?

Thanks for any and all ideas and answers.....
  2. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

I believe gold is commonly used under red to produce a candy red color.
    A preval sprayer is basically a spray can which you load whatever paint you want into it. It has a 6oz. glass jar that screws on below an air charged unit with a trigger similar to a rattle can.
    If you've never used a real spray gun before I'd recommend using a preval, it's easier prep and cleanup.
  3. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

I have some experience using an air brush.....I paint duck hunting decoys......I do believe you that a preval would be much easier using.........

How do you charge the preval with air? Do you have to buy pre charged air canisters or can i charge it with my own air compressor?

Thanks for the quick answer!
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

If you have access to a spray gun I would deal with the learning curve vs using a Preval sprayer, You would have to use alot of thinner for it to spray at all, and I doubt you could get a very even coat with it.

I have used that Duplicolor finish before, I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It stays very soft, and does not spray well. In this case I think you would be better off with rattle cans vs that product.
  5. Beej

Beej

Silver basecoat is basically colourless in a candy finish. If you bring gold in, you'll just introduce yellow into the overall colour. I had to learn that one the hard way... :)
  6. StreetScenes

StreetScenes Gold Supporting Member

Look at a House of Kolor Candy chart. That will give you an idea of how the base causes the topcoat to change.

If you look at my bike here: http://cincitycustoms.com/The_Projects/Pages/VN800.html#3

It is a gold base with blue alost purple candy. I sprayed a few test paneles with light and darker silvers, gold and red bases. Each one turned the candy into a totally different color.

If your into air brush then look at autoair colors they may have something you can use and it's all water based.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autoaircolor/auto-air-colors.aspx?gclid=COjIvqjk2bMCFegWMgodKkwAQw