Cannot decide what P bass pickup I want

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cv115505, Feb 7, 2014.

1. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    Ok so my 2013 Precision (my main squeeze) currently uses a Bill Lawrence precision pickup... I like it, but I find it to be a bit much on high end... I want it to thump more... I've tried everything EQ-wise, but i still get a more predominant high end... I also have a Hanson/Lakland Neopunch P pickup in a box from a project that never materialized, and I have been considering the Aguilar and Lollar 60s P models.... I'm really wanting balanced, vintage sound... TB has never steered me wrong on these issues so what do you guys thing... Stick with the Lawrence and just lower it or something?... Neopunch it up? Go Aguilar? or go Lollar?

2. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I'm looking for a thumpy P pickup too. I am building a bass with Labella Black Tapes in mind. I have the Bill Lawrence P and I think it might fit the bill with the highs rolled off. It has huge punch, huge dynamic response.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

The nordstrand np4 is a good option its like the fender 62 reissue but cleaner highs.

4. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

If you don't like it, flip it. Somebody else will like it.

For the sound you want I like the SPB-1 and the Lollar.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Curtis Novak winds some nice P pickups

7. Teacher

Teacher

Also the '62 reissue.

8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Media:
    I have a Neopunch set in my Lakland Bob Glaub PJ. I think it sounds great, but it's a hot pickup with very present high mids. It will give you lots of attack and high output. The lows are very good, but with so much high mid presence you may not think it's thumpy enough. I say try it out and if you don't like it just take it back out and try something else.

9. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966 Supporting Member

I agree with the Seymour Duncan SPB-1.. Wow it is good for that old school thump, classic rock grunt and bass breakup through an all tuber!

That said, I wouldn't mind trying a Lollar too! ;)

Added note: I got this beautiful 2008 Precision Standard recently, it's a monster and I love it. Only thing thinking of doing is replacing the stock pickup, it's clear to me my Atkinson P bass, with the SPB-1, smokes it tone wise though my Fender 100T. Nuff said..

Marc

10. cv115505

Disclosures:
    what about the Fender Custom Shop 50s? any opinions there?

11. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Oh this is an easy one. You just want the Lollar. Oh or the Fralin. Hrm Nordstrand do a nice P pup too. Oh wait, there's also ....

Don't thank me, I'm happy to help.

Mike

12. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
  13. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i'd suggest putting the stock fender pick up back in it. sounds like it's what you're looking for.

14. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

If you want probably the best balanced P pickup out there that is still true to the vintage vibe, Fralin stock wind all the way. The most even, punchy p pickup I've ever tried between the SD SPB1, Fender Original, Fender CS 60's and Lollar stock wind. The Lollar is equally as good, but a different flavor. Not quite as balanced as the Fralin but tons of output and a very clear voice. I currently use the Lollar, but only because I didn't have the scratch for the Fralin at the time. Any of the ones I listed will be a good choice if you're going for a more traditional sound, with the Fenders and Duncan being on the raw, classic side and the Fralin and Lollar being classic but more refined...there really is a difference.

I'm of the school that likes to stick to Alnico 2-5, at a 10-11k wind. Anything more and its starting to venture out of the realm of a Precision, IMO. Of the two I suggested, I like to think of the Fralin as what a Fender pup new in 1963 would sound like. The Lollar is more like what the same pup would sound like after 50yrs. Lollar actually charges their magnets slightly less than normal to achieve this and also spec their own Alnico.

Many choices but those two have consistently been my fav, with the Fender CS 60's second and the Original third. I'm not a fan of the SPB1.

15. cv115505

Disclosures:
    Does the Lollar sacrifice output?

16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Not at all. If anything, its one of the most sensitive P pups I've used. It is very responsive to touch. Even the smallest change in height will effect the tone. Don't let the under magnetized part scare you, the output is great. He actually winds them (the stock ones) on the high side for some reason, but the result is classic Precision tone. I A/B'd it against a friends stock 64 P, same body woods, and the Lollar was unbelievably identical. They will give you everything a good P pup can, but I found the key is in the height. It will almost distort when close to the strings and won't get Motown unless they are buried into the pickguard. I used them on a Classic 50's (maple board, alder body) and currently on my AmStd (rosewood/alder). It brings out the natural voice in whatever bass you use them in. The Fralins on the other hand were a revelation and what made me a P lover for life. It's cliche and I've said it before, but it was like taking a blanket off my bass. They are super even string to string with a bit of warm coloration. They are like the opposite of the Fender 62, which accentuates high mids. The Fralin is the sweet spot in the low mids that will get you heard in just about any mix, and is why I prefer them. They basically take the shrill harshness out of the 62 pickup and give you everything good about it, with the added balance.

So basically, the Lollar will give you (IME) the more unadulterated sound of your bass, unless you adjust the height to extremes.

The Fralin is just a solid signal of fundamental that is a bit warm and all encompassing in regards to frequency, which some can grow tired of.

The 62 or Original is probably the closest to what people hear in their heads when they think of bright, classic Precision recordings (think John Entwistle) but is capable of a solid, low mid fundamental. I always got compliments with it.

The newer CS are very much like the 62's, but with slightly subdued highs. I prefer is over the 62 and is almost identical in aesthetics aside from the shorter, unbeveled pole pieces. It's harder to find this pup as its not available (yet) as an aftermarket part from Fender or anyone else. They sometimes show up in the classifieds here. I just sold one.

To be honest, you can't go wrong with any of them.

17. Camaro

Camaro

Have you tried Flatwounds?

18. DanGouge

DanGouge

Rolling off the tone knob might help.

19. chinmullet

chinmullet

According to this, which I found linked from the Wilde pickup web site, there are two different ways to connect your BL pickup:

http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/wildepickups/media/Wiring%20Diagrams/pbasswiring.jpg.html

"series: full power bass" and "parallel: bright clean highs"

Have you considered checking to see which way yours is wired, and perhaps trying to wire them up the other way?

20. chinmullet

chinmullet

21. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

For thump go with a ceramic pickup. DiMarzio model P. The other pickups mentioned here are also very good with not deliver dramatic changes.

Short of that, the SD quarterpounder might be your best bet. It is very scooped.

I used a Fralin, Dimarzio DP250 and SD Antiquity II. I've also owned SD SPB-1, Lollar and Aguilar Pickups.