Can't Afford An Ebony Board > Best Alternative?

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by Bass Clef, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

So after browsing through the price list i've decided even though I would like to have Ebony as a fretboard but it will really push the price way above my range, whats my best alternative which will give me the closest tone and performance which is available on a Roscoe?

Thanking you all in advance.
  2. JOME77

JOME77

Cocobolo. More stable, great tone and IMO prettier (especially exhibition grade).
  3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Cocobolo is a good recommendation. Not quite the same tone but close in a lot of respects and very nice.

Of course you could always try to find a used Roscoe with an ebony board ;)
  4. FretNot

FretNot

Another vote for cocobolo.

Andre
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    For tone: cocobolo; for appearance: wenge.

:)
  7. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN Gold Supporting Member

Why not just save a little longer and get ebony, if that's what you really want?
  8. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    FWIW, there is a reason for our pricing structure on ebony. It isn't as reliably stable as urban myth will imply - it is very temperamental and tends to "come home for TLC" on too regular a basis.

Since the original poster is in Australia, I strongly recommend AGAINST ebony for this reason. It isn't a 100% guarantee there will be an issue, but it's definitely a better than 50/50 chance that it will require some special attention AFTER it's been in the field for a bit. Cocobolo and wenge are the polar opposites, from the stability/reliability perspective - the essentially NEVER require special attention.

:)
  9. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Wenge. Great board and looks cool.
  10. VroomVroom

VroomVroom

Don't select the fingerboard in a vacuum. What other woods are you considering for the body, top, and neck?
  11. Bass Clef

Bass Clef

Good point Vroom.
    Still giving those parts of the equation some thought. I'm thinking of something like Paduk for a body as I tried a bass with a Paduk body maple top, laminated maple neck with Paduk stringers and an ebony board board with Lane Poor pickups and it was gorgeous!

Not sure if Roscoe are made with Paduk bodies but, does anybody know if there are bodies similar to the sound of Paduk. Ash maybe or Mahogany? Possibly Alder maybe?