1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can't decide between some Ampeg setups, portaflex series

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TDSLaBassiste, Feb 9, 2014.

?

Whic setup?

1. 350W with the PF115 and/or PF210

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. 500W with the PF115 and PF210

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  3. 500W with the LF410(800W) and/or LF115(400W)

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  4. Other recommendation (please post below and keep it in $1000 range)

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. TDSLaBassiste

TDSLaBassiste Supporting Member

I'm torn between a couple different options with the Portaflex amps and was looking for some advice.

Option 1: 350W with the PF115 and/or PF210 (Both cabs are 450W)

Option 2: 500W with the PF115 and PF210 (Both cabs are 450W)

Option 3: 500W with the LF410(800W) and/or LF115(400W)

Which of these options looks to be the best pairing in terms of wattages from the head to cab? And which would give me the most tonal versatility?

If I took any options with more than one cab, I'd have to buy one cab first and then save up for the second as my limit is $1000.

What's your recommendation and why?
  2. TDSLaBassiste

Answers on the poll but no responses giving reasons, can someone explain their opinion to me?
  3. Dubsly

Dubsly Supporting Member

I voted "other". My choice would be for 500w and two of which ever cabinets sound the best to you. They are all full range cabinets, so there's really no reason to mix them.
  4. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

How about the pf800 and two lf410's that would move some air! Or a 7pro and an 810,holy mother of GAWD!!!The possibilities!! Tough to decide isn't it! Limited to your pole I would choose the pf500 and two 410's.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Agreed. The poll options all have mixed spkr choices, while the "best" choice would be two of whichever cab you like best. I'd go with 2x the PF115's and the PF500.
  6. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would take a very different approach.

Buy the amp that gives you the clean headroom you want. More wattage = more clean headroom. If you want to be loud and clean, more is better. If you want to be a little dirty, less will do it easier.
    Buy the cabs that give you the volume you want. Mixing cabs as you're doing in most of those scenarios isn't the best. I'm not getting into it here but there are plenty of threads on mixing cabs.

As for tonal versatility, that is up to the players hands and technique IMO. If I played through your rig I guarantee that we will both sound different.

And since this is an Ampeg PF thread, I urge you to do some searching on them. At one time there were a decent amount of failures reported. I'm not sure if that has been fixed or not.
  7. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

I voted other. Get either the PF 350 or PF 500. Pair either of these amps with two PF-115HEs or two PF-210HEs. As has been said, there is no reason to mix the cabs. Based of what I paid for my PF-320/PF-115 either of these rigs can be had for under $1,000.
  8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

I recommend asking JimmyM - why, because he'd know :bassist:
  9. TDSLaBassiste

Thanks for the responses guys! I'd love to go bigger and get something like a 7pro, but like I said, I'm limited to $1000 right now and would have to buy the head then save up for a cab to match in another couple months, and I don't quite think the lady of the house would appreciate me dropping around $2000 on an amp haha

What I may do is get the 500W and a 410 now then save up for another 410. Would a head of only 500W work well with two 800W cabs? I'm not too good with amps so I unfortunately am at a tiny bit of a loss as to what would be good and what wouldn't.

As for the recommendation to JimmyM, send him on over here, I'm always up to hear his opinion!
  10. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Agreed.
  11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Get the PF800, Gallien Krueger MB800, or GB Shuttle 9.2. Then buy a pair of the best used 8 ohm cabs you can find that match your weight, size, and loudness needs. Find something more capable than the PF210 or PF115.
  12. TDSLaBassiste

Ah I want all this stuff but my budget is killing me! I love the GB, it's the only one with a tube preamp. The GK is definitely the most reasonably priced but I've never been a huge fan of GK.
  13. Thundar

Thundar Supporting Member

I had a pair of 115LF's with an SVT 7pro....sounded quite nice! :bassist:

[​IMG]
  14. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

I voted other:

PF500/800 with 2 PF115HE
    Flexible enough to handle most situations, portable, powerful, great variety of tone and the price is right
  15. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Yes the 500W head will work with those cabs. Cab wattage is basically meaningless, the thing about under powering cabs is a total myth.
  16. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

PF-500 with a PF-115LF. Add a second down the road if you need more volume.
  17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Basically what he said, but I would go ahead and get the whole rig at once if you can make it happen. I played a PF-500 through 2 PF-115LF cabs and it sounded outstanding, and I am not an Ampeg guy.
  18. JDLowEnd

JDLowEnd

Pf-500 and 2xpf115he
  19. TDSLaBassiste

Why the 15's over the 10's? What exactly are the pros and cons between these particular cabs?
  20. TDSLaBassiste

See I worried about this. There is a ridiculous amount of conflicting information about underpowering cabs and it just never sounded right to me that you'd mess up a cab by actually putting through LESS watts than it's rated for.