Can't decide which Barker Ass Master i want.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by danielfnj96, Jul 5, 2013.

1. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

So i tried one of the silicon Barker Ass Masters in the guitar center and decided that i am definitely getting a Barker Ass Master, but i'm not sure if i want the germanium version instead of the silicon. The reason being is that i'm not sure how it would affect the tone and i want to be sure before dishing out so much money for a fuzz box. The only thing i didn't like about the silicon was that it was a little "splatty" sounding but not so much that its a problem, but i'm afraid with the germanium that it wont be as intense, won't have as much of a "buzz saw tone", or even worse it has the same splatty sound but loses the harshness that i love about the silicon version. The reason i'm getting this fuzz is because i want a fuzz that really sounds like a fuzz which i didn't feel my bass big muff did for me. I'm not looking for a synth tone but more of a synthyish fuzz that doesn't sound anything like a distortion or "classic tone". If anyone could tell me the key tonal differences between the pedals i would greatly appreciate it. Also it should be noted that i thought of this in the store so to try to get an idea of how the germanium vs silicon would affect the tone i a/b-ed 2 fuzz faces (one silicon and one germanium) and chose the silicon as being more of what i wanted by a long shot.
  2. St Drogo

St Drogo

Subbed because I'd like some insight in this as well.

Btw, if you are looking for a fuzzy fuzz, I can imagine you would be disappointed in the bbm. I have never understood why it's such a popular pedal here. It sounds crap, imho.
    Have you tried looking more into gated fuzz territory? You might like the wooly mammoth or mastotron, or something along those lines? Those to me really sound like fuzz; sharp yet thick. A distinct sound, not a sort of mushy 'overdrive pushed harder'.
  3. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Yeah i have looked into the wooly mammoth, mastotron, brown dog, and other gated fuzzes but i thought they were a bit too synthy or extreme for what i'm looking for, but i was really digging the tone on the Barker Ass Master i played at guitar center and i'm pretty set on it.
  4. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Buy a germanium one off the classifieds and A/B it.
  7. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Send a PM to user Vegas532. He loves these things. He will help.
  8. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

FWIW I own the silicon version and it absolutely slays. It's still my favorite fuzz of all time and one of the few pedals that I have no intention of selling.
  9. Gilian24

Gilian24

There is a video of a silicon and germanium. I like the germanium better... bit warmer and less harsh.
  10. RCCollins

RCCollins

Bassfuzz.com compared the silicon and germanium (and double germanium) versions if I'm not mistaken.
  11. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

+1

I went with germanium.
  12. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Sorry, my ears were burning. The Germanium B:Assmaster has noticeably less gain and a smoother attack to the fuzz overall. In some ways, the "character" of the octave up on these is more interesting than the Silicon. It has a little more of a "ring mod" type of quality to it.
    One detail to take into consideration is what bass you're using. I actually prefer the Germanium for hot output, active basses any day of the week. If you're a passive guy like me, get the Silicon with Freq. mod and you won't be disappointed. If you like to experiment with texturing, spend the extra $20 and get the Expression input added...that guy is LOADS of fun! ;)
  13. danielfnj96

danielfnj96

Well after looking through all the stuff you guys provided i think its safe to say i'll be getting the silicon version. Thanks for all the help.
  14. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Specify freq. mod, it's beefier...and no extra charge! ;)
  15. jetofuj

jetofuj

Ha, I ordered my fourth B:Assmaster today - I don't own previous three anymore :)

To me Si version has this wicked brassy character that Ge version lacks, but this is, of course, my opinion.

[​IMG]