1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Can't find any reviews

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by gsprice696, Feb 7, 2014.

1. gsprice696

gsprice696

Hey everyone I'm new to the bass guitar and know very little about them, I haven't even purchased one yet but I intend on it very soon. I'm in the army and currently stationed in South Korea so I don't exactly have the ability to just head down to the local Guitar Center to check any out so I'm hoping you all can give me some advice. I've been looking and found 2 beginner bass packs that look great but I can't find any reviews which makes me leary. The first is the Epiphone Tobias to y performance pack. I've head the amp that comes with it is great but I've heard nothing about the bass. Second is the Ibenez Jumpstart pack which the bass looks really nice but one again no reviews. So if anyone knows anything about these could u give me some info please? Thanks in advance!

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Starter packs are usually not good quality of anything.

Why don't you ask your question is the bass forum? I don't even think ThePerfectBass sells either of those brands.

3. gsprice696

gsprice696

Will do and thanks!

4. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

We used to stock quite a bit of Ibanez...including the packs...

The reality is this... I don't like packs of any sort. They target the entry level buyer with "everything you need" in a box. And while that claim may be true to some extent, it's more of guitar shaped objects and not an instrument that will inspire you to continue to play beyond about a week after the novelty has worn off.

I'd prefer that my customers do 1 of 2 things:

1. Go to a pawn shop, find something you think is really cool and buy that. Whatever you can get for $300 from a pawn shop is probably worth more than what you'd get out of one of those packs.

2. Save up another $300-400 and spend about $400-500 on a decent bass, and 150-200 on a decent used combo amp that will actually sound like a bass amp and not a junked out car stereo 3 way from 1992. Lol

If I'm buying a christmas present for my 10 yr old who isn't sure that they really want to play guitar or bass, a pack is probably ok... But if you are pretty certain you're wanting to learn, there are far better values on the market in the used arena or by spending just a little more money.

Peace!

James

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

There's several "for sale" threads on Talkbass too by the way... And Craigslist... Be careful on ebay...easy to get suckered out there... Unless you're buying from us! :)