1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can't get a response from G&L customer service...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve_rolfeca, Jan 14, 2013.

1. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

I've got a friend with a bad truss rod in a G&L L2500 Tribute.

He's been trying to contact the out-of-warranty repair contact at G&L for two weeks.

Does anyone have a good alternate contact, or know how to get a replacement neck for a G&L?
  2. lonote

lonote

Good luck, that's all I can say.
  3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Wow, I'm very surprised. I've needed to call G&L twice and both times someone answered the phone straightaway.

My calls were just questions, not warranty issues, but there's no way they can know that before they answer the phone.
  4. lonote

lonote

My problem wasn't about somebody answering the phone, it was about them doing something. After more than a year of frustration (both me and my local authorized dealer), I bought the part I needed, used, here on TB. It is now installed and working fine.
  5. Wallace320

Wallace320

If you're talkin' about out of warranty repairs, why not takin' into consideration a talk to the actual retailer?

Dunno if your friend's a regular purchaser there, but if it is the case (I am, for G&L and other brands, especially in a very famous shop here in Milan) he could ask for a shop neck swap

I mean
    same model and finishing and series (for instance, same rosewood fingerboard on same 3TS on ash body finishing):
    just swap necks out, then (bein' a regular purchaser) the charge for the repair is completely on the shop, if they're able to restore the other resident body now with your friend's defectin' neck

Cheers,
    Wallace
  6. steve_rolfeca

Wow. I've got to move to Italy.

The only reason I'm posting about this on Talkbass, is because we couldn't get useful advice, never mind that kind of proactive help, from two different Canadian G&L dealers...
  7. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Phoning works better than email at G&L.

Also, when he does talk to someone at G&L, he might want to be sitting down when he hears what it will cost. :eek:
  8. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

+1 on calling by phone. I remembered dealing with John Toner in 2011, and it wasn't fun. :(

Be persistent!
  9. steve_rolfeca

I'm hoping that it's just NAMM-itis...
  10. steve_rolfeca

Mississauga dealer Mojo Music stepped up to the plate, and is looking at possible repair options.

No kudos to G&L though, still no response. Meanwhile, the number of reported truss rod failures is pretty disturbing...
  11. Templar

Really? What is the number of reported G&L truss rod failures?
  12. steve_rolfeca

Google "G&L truss rod problem" when you're searching for solutions.

Considering the size of their market penetration, there are a lot of reports of re-necking, trouble finding parts, trouble getting through to G&L support, etc.

I consider G&L to be the best of the Fender spin-offs. The US models absolutely ooze quality IMO, but this gives me pause.
  13. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

As it is out of warranty anyway, why not just pop the fret board, install a new truss rod, re-install the fret board and have at 'er?
    Eliminates a non responsive manufacturer and would probably be done much quicker and cheaper.
    Fishheadjoe
  14. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    If you start now, you could have it done by lunchtime! :D

Moonshine :bassist:
  15. RMay

RMay

4yrs ago I contacted G&L regarding a replacement neck for my out of warranty '85 USA G&L. I was quoted $600 for a new neck and required to ship my bass to the G&L factory for them ensure proper neck fit and finish. IMO,In your case, it may be better to find a used neck on ebay. The repair cost will be near the value a new G&L tribute unless you do the repair.
  16. Templar

I've never had a truss rod issue with any of the G&L's I've owned, which is quite a few.

But just for kicks I googled "G&L truss rod problem", and also googled the same for Fender, Lakland, Carvin, and EBMM. Found complaints about all except EBMM, with the most complaints being about Fender instruments, naturally.

I don't see where G&L is a big standout in this regard, and I suspect much of these complaints stem from either user error, or people repeating things they've read on various web forums.

CS is another story, and getting through to G&L can be difficult, especially near NAMM. OTOH, Fender doesn't exactly jump through hoops for every complaining customer either.

Aside; If you do have a truss rod issue with a G&L bi-cut neck you're pretty much screwed. A repair is possible, but will likely be beyond the capabilities of your average "tech".

Something like this approach might be do-able, depending. Fretboard lifted about 12 inches from the butt end, wood routed away for access to the rod end, which in this case was probably spinning around in the wood. Not pretty but it apparently worked.

[​IMG]
  17. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

I've also been waiting for a response from them.

From a year ago.

I e-mailed them recently. I'm going to wait until the dust settles from their excursion to NAMM, then try to get in touch with them again.
  18. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

This is lame. Love my Gand l they should do better by their customers. Someone calls about a band, small business, services etc you expect to be contacted within 24 hours
  19. mongo2

mongo2

LOL.
  20. Bassman62

Bassman62

I'm a bit concerned after reading this about G&L basses.
    I've got a mint condition 2004 G&L L2500 with an unadjustable truss rod.
    It is seized solid and wont move.