Can't hear myself clearly in recordings :(

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bayonet, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Bayonet

Bayonet

So i played in a practice studio with my band yesterday we recorded some stuff.. during and after the rehearsals the drummer said he was having some trouble hearing my bass,i thought that was just because the drums are set on the opposite side of the room about 10 meters away(can be more or less i'm not sure hehe).But today i saw the recording and i can't hear myself quite well... i can only hear me during the guitar solos,but i'm not sure if its my fault for not EQ'ing Right or if it is because we are using an iphone to record :bag:

My EQ was almost flat,with some boost on the lows and low mids and a small boost on high mids and i cut the highest highs(5k hz and more),the guitar is eq'd with a little bass and treble boost and a small mid cut,i could hear myself fine and so did the guitarist

here's a video so you guys can have a better idea of what's going on

So what do you guys think is the problem? Recorder?Equalization?Volume?

I'm sorry for any mistakes on my writing abilities... i'm not a native speaker...
    Also if this is not the correct area to ask this,please move it to somewhere it fits hehe i'm sorry

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

1. Room - A small room without proper acoustic treatment is going to be your biggest issue. From the video, there seems to be a serious lack of soft surfaces necessary to control reflections.
    2. Amp/mic placement - Espeically in a small, hard room, moving amps and mics to different locations can make a big difference. If you can hear everything clearly from where you're standing, try putting a mic there.
    3. Volume - Pushing the mic/recording device into distortion means you're either recording too hot, or playing too loud.
    4. EQ - You need to find that magic place between the low end of the kick drum and the guitar. This is usually the low mids. Very often, the sound that works i nthe mix sounds less than great on its own. Go with what works in the mix.

3. NKBassman

NKBassman Nerd Supporting Member

I think the problem is that you're trying to record on an iphone. If you want to get into recording rehersals, I suggest you invest in something like the Zoom H4n. I've had mine for a couple years now and I love it.

4. Emibass

Emibass

Media:
    Albums:
    Practice studio recording on an iPhone?!!?!?!?!

Wow, the recording industry really got low.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. obimark

obimark

No offense- I wish I didn't hear your guy singing. Really bad... not in key at all.

7. Bayonet

Bayonet

Yeah hes not a good singer.. i'm trying to teach him some stuff but he can't stay in tune in some songs to save his life...however he is actually quite decent in some other stuff

EricF,thanks for the tips.. i'll do that next time,also where would the low mids be on a graphic EQ? whats the frequency range?

Also,yeah,recording with an iphone lol
    :bag:
    i've been meaning to buy one of those Zoom H4n or another one that i saw in a magazine that should be far superior,but i'm still saving for a paintjob for my bass

8. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I hear it fine. Sounds OK for a recording from a phone.

9. winegamd

winegamd

This is probably your biggest issue. My band had the same issue. I just bought a bunch of fluffy or thich blankets from a thrift store and hung them on the walls. We also put down a bunch of rugs which were a huge contributing facter for the seeming bass vacuum.

10. NKBassman

Seriously? All the room treatment in the world is not going to make full band recordings on an iPhone sound any better. If you want to capture some decent sounding recordings, invest in some proper equipment... then treat the room if you're still having problems.

11. Samsound

Samsound

The OP said the original problem was that his bandmates can't hear him. The iPhone comment was just a shiny object.

12. NKBassman

Ah yeah, you're right. My bad.

13. neversilence

neversilence

Did you see my thread? lol. I dont want to hijack this but having serious issues with the H4N levels once transfered to computer.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

No offense, but after watching this video I would say that you guys have way more pressing issues than hearing your bass on a crappy I-phone recording.

Singer is bad. Needs to sing in key and learn the words
    Guitar player needs to actually learn how to play the song.

I couldn't hear your bass though.

Sorry bro, don't mean to sound harsh, just being honest.

15. BassedInSpace

BassedInSpace

Drums were to loud to me, maybe put the phone closer to the bass amp next time and further from the drums, have the Iphone guy stand behind the singer and turn your bass amp up a little. Good luck if that's your only way of recording.

16. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

I don't think that's directly the issue. The drummer sounds like he's smacking the daylights out of the drums to keep up with the guitar, which is up too loud.

Lots of sound issues all around, but I think the big culprit is the guitar. It's too loud, which is driving everything else to be too loud. He could stand to turn down at least by a 1/3rd. He was good up until he turned up at 0:14 or so. Also, he's not dynamic at all. He's not listening to the singer and changing his volume accordingly. Since he's playing too loud, the drummer's beating up his kit to keep up. I think the singer would sound better if he wasn't fighting against the guitarist as much, too. Also, neither the singer or the guitarist are letting things breath. Both could benefit by playing shorter notes and not trying so hard to fill up the space as much.

As far as what you're doing, you could probably come up a bit. Also, you may be playing fairly aggressively with a bunch of higher frequencies. It is tough to hear you through the iphone recording, so I'm not sure. If you are playing aggressively, this will fight with both the vocals and the guitars more. Think of it more of 'with everyone else playing, what frequencies are not get played? What can I can I do or how can I shape my technique to fill that void?' Turning up a bit and playing with a lighter technique might help, as well as maybe palming the bridge a bit.

17. bassyj

bassyj

In response to what Ericf said earlier, I would give yourself a 2-3 db boost around 250 and 800 Hz. And try leaving everything else flat. I wouldn't cut your highs because you have cymbals and guitars to cut through. That should keep things clear. Also how the other guys in the rhythm section eq their stuff is also going to effect how you're hearing yourself. I find its best to work together as a unit and discuss how you want things to blend.

18. zhollywood

zhollywood

You need one of these :bassist:

[​IMG]