Can't Play With Cold Hands.....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ZenG, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

If my hands get cooler or cold it really slows me down....

I need to be nice and warm to be "in the groove"...

How about you?
  2. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Yeah, this happens to me too. It's been better lately though. But it can be a real downer.
  3. Dumptruck

Dumptruck

Being from Australia, I do not have these "cold hands" problems too much.
  4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Yes its a real problem for some of us. People often think you're just making excuses, but its almost similar to Very mild paralysis.

The fingers just won't move like they normally would.

The only thing I've found is some heat source to keep the muscles/flesh warm.

You're on your own.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Upright4

Upright4

I've used a pair of thin leather, half-finger, cotton mesh back bicycling gloves on very cold gigs. They didn't get in the way as much as you might think, and kept my hands from getting frozen stiff.
  7. DiabolicLow B

DiabolicLow B Supporting Member

Running warm water over your wrists helps to warm up your hands quickly.
  8. Lownote38

Lownote38

I have the same issue if it's cold. I've played outside where it actually hurts to play because it's so cold! Solution? Avoid those types of gigs!
  9. pfox14

pfox14

I don't know how female bassists do it. Girls are always cold.
  10. millsbass5

millsbass5

+1!!!
    And, I run the water AS HOT AS I CAN STAND IT. And, rub 'em as vigorously as possible when doing this. Another tip on breaks in between sets is to buy a 2 pack of hand warmers to stick in your pockets. It may look as if your playin' "pocket pool" while standin' there on your break. But, believe it, or not, the kinkiest of women get into that stuff....... You can thank me later, buddy. :D
  11. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I have exactly the same issue. As soon as winter sets in I always have a set of gloves in my pockets, to keep my hands warm on the way to rehearsal and to gigs.

If that is not enough, as mentioned above, I run them under warm water and then rub them together a lot. I also like to give a quick massage to the muscles and fingers.
  12. DannyBob

DannyBob

I once was performing a solo piece for my school recital in front of about 400 paying people and my hands were cold. So I went out and told them my hands were cold, everyone laughed, I did a quick 3min improv stand-up thing, then thanked them once my hands were warm and played the song. Got a standing ovation, and still to this day one of my best performances to date.
  13. KipperWakz

KipperWakz

Warm em' up! Get your hands in your pockets for a minute or better yet knock a few scales out n race the fretboard.
  14. evil-g

evil-g Supporting Member

15. zhollywood

zhollywood Supporting Member

There was only ONE time that I had to play with a pick...
    If I play with a pick, my playing gets so sloppy/funky. My fretting hand worked perfectly but not my plucking.

Outdoor gigs+cold hands/joints= no bueno.
  16. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

I keep several packs of Grabber Hand Warmers in my gig bag. I bought them on sale at my local grocery store for .99 cents a pair. If its really cold, I'll open one before I leave for a gig/rehearsal and it's usually nice and toasty by the time I arrive.