1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Can't Put the Passive P Down -Sounds Too Good

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Nov 28, 2013.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Supporting Member

For perhaps the last decade my instrument of choice has been an active PUP, most often the Music Man Sterling.

About a six weeks ago, I restrung a P-Bass, built from parts including a baseball maple neck and black body, with DR Fat Beams.

I haven't put it down since. While it doesn't have the range of the onboard actives, it just kicks booty on most of the rock, funk and R&B tunes.

Will spend the day restringing and tweaking the setups on three basses, but plan to use the P for Friday and Saturday gigs.

The tone knob, for my purposes moves about an eighth of an inch, somewhere in the middle of its range and that's about it.

I move my right hand position more often, to change the attack and tone and pedal effects when "more" is required.

After decades of Fender denial, I am carrying a the Precision and a Jazz Fretless to most gigs.
    [​IMG]
  2. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Yep! You're right.
  3. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

Welcome Back...Ive been there NEVER again.Passive only for me.:bassist:

Attached Files:

• t,s.jpg
      t,s.jpg
      File size:
      7.5 KB
      Views:
  4. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Wow. Black Beauty!

Welcome Home.

edit: That is one Gnarly looking bridge! Love it!
  5. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

I have been gassing for a P with flats recently so I picked up a Squier P (Matt Freeman) last week, dropped in a Bill Lawrence P46 (RIP) and strung it with chromes.

Not my #1, but oh so yummy (and surprisingly versatile)!
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor

There are a lot of great bass tones, but there's nothing quite like a P bass.
  7. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    After over 25 years without a Fender or passive bass in the last year I now have three, a 2012 American Standard Jazz, a MIM Fretless Jazz and an Antigua P Bass. I'm thinking about a fourth, Fender Jazz V tuned E-C. Don't miss the Alembic Orion Six and F Bass BN5 or the EB MM Stingray.

Wally
  8. alembicbones

alembicbones

There's no doubt that when all else fails, a P will fit the bill. I really like my 2012 Oly White P5.

Bones
  9. mark beem

mark beem Supporting Member

Yup! I'm loving my Lakland 55-64 for the same reason!

[​IMG]

Even added a passive J (Lakland 55-60) back into the mix!

[​IMG]
  10. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

I agree. I now have both four string and a five string p-basses. Don't think I'll ever need anything else.
  11. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Supporting Member

Epiphone brass bridge, through body strings.

Can't go wrong with Black and Blonde.
  12. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

I own one active bass, my other two are a passive P and a passive J.

I'm a passive fan.

[​IMG]
  13. skwee

skwee

I would totally play that beautiful maple/black bass, too.
  14. CnB77

CnB77

Other than really, really wanting a Beatle bass of some kind I could definitely do with just a passive P for all my bassing. I've been around the block with modern actives, Jazz basses, played with a Rick for a while, and cool as all those things are they're just not what I do.
  15. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

I may be paraphrasing here, but it went something like this :

"99% of the time, a Pbass with flats will get the job done exactly the way it needs to be done. If we're going to add anything to that incredibly effective way of making music, we'd better know what we're doing"

That was Janek Gwizdala talking about tastefully using effects pedals. But I think it holds true for our basses, amps, pedals, techniques, etc

I'm personally a passive bass kinda guy. I'm not interested in preamps or eq. But I don't deny that when they're used properly and tastefully, they can sound GREAT

That being said, 99% of all bass players need to get themselves a solid Pbass and a good set of strings and get schooled! If you can't get the feel with that, you'll never get it.
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A nice P-Bass & some Ohio Players tunes to play along with make for a great weekend.
  17. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

I'd say that is a true statement.

..and that is coming from a Jazz bass guy and lover of those sweet thin,thin Jazz bass necks. I own many Jazz basses but I played a 2013 American standard Precision today at Guitar Center for an hour. What a sound. Really got me. And considering how I like thin necks, this 'P' felt great.

Gotta sell a Jazz or two.....stay tuned.
  18. FlaCharlie

FlaCharlie

I recently purchased a Squire VM Precision Fretless and the neck is quite thin - not at all what I expected. Plus it's only 7 lbs 3 oz!

. . . Charlie
  19. dmusic148

dmusic148

Hehe...... "one of us..... one of us...." :D
  20. pedroims

pedroims Supporting Member

Last week I traded my SB5000 for a P American Standard, I got the bass today and have been playing it for hours, feels like home to me :)...by the way, the Carvin was a great bass but I barely played it, I felt like I was fighting it.