Can't tune my bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SoyMilkHero, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SoyMilkHero

SoyMilkHero

I don't understand weither i'm doing something wrong or something. But i bought a KORG tuner and it will only tune the top 2 strings of my 4 string bass. SO i thought maybe it was the tuner, so i bought a Inteletouch tuner thinking it would be more reliable. But it does the exact same thing, and with both tuners it identifies my D string as a B? Any suggestions on whats wrong? Or maybe that i'm personally doing something wrong?
  2. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Well,if it says it's B,then that string it tuned to B.Adjust accordingly.
  3. SoyMilkHero

SoyMilkHero

Ooh. I understand now. I apologize for my noobieness. I always tuned by ear but figured that tuning with a tuner would be an easier solution because i often play acoustically. Thank you, and again sorry.
  4. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Use the octave harmonic.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lindseyp

lindseyp

No apologies needed, you're in the right place for help.
  7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Supporting Member

Hi SoyMilkHero.

If pickups are adjusted too close to the strings, the pickup's magnets can pull some of the string's overtones out of tune.

This MIGHT be the cause of your electronic tuner problem, although if it is, notes which are played above the 14th fret or so will sound noticeably dissonant.

--------

As others have suggested, try tuning your bass by playing the harmonic at the 12th fret.