1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Capacitor in 62 AVRI Jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by svtman, Jan 7, 2013.

1. svtman

svtman

Hey Guys,

I rewired my 62 AVRI Jazz bass with Lollar Jazz Pickups (not split coil) and put some new 250k pots in a .050 cap in it. It sounds nice, but it is just too dark in general. Sounds scooped almost. I usually run the tone at 10 (wide open). Even with new strings, it just doesn't have the presence of other jazz basses i've listened to.

Could replacing this cap with, say, a .022 value make my bass brighter?

Any help would be appreciated!

2. line6man

line6man

No, there should not be a huge difference when the tone pot is all the way up. You might consider 500k pots instead.

3. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

What strings are you using? Maybe try setting your amp eq differently to compensate. I have Ant II pups in 2 different American Standards and they sound slightly different in each bass.

4. svtman

svtman

Ok. I'm using d'addario 50-105 round wound (exl160).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. svtman

svtman

Also, I'm mostly playing without an amp. Just into REDDI and in-ear-monitors.

7. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

Couple things: Did you wire it with a stack knob setup or 3 knob? If it's stack knobs, there is a .05 and I believe a .03 cap in there as well. Did you replace both with a .05? Did you wire it to vintage specs with the 220k caps to eliminate interaction two pups? I mean, I feel all Jazzes have a bit of a scoop when run wide open (both volumes up), could it be a combo of these new pickups and EQ, or rather lack there of, as it's going direct?

8. svtman

svtman

Thanks D.M.N.

I wired it using the three knob config. Most times, I am only using the neck pickup. I love the color of that pickup, I just want more presence. Thanks.

9. svtman

svtman

Just ordered a 500k volume pot for the neck pickup. Going to leave the bridge pot(250k) alone for the time being.

10. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

A little darker tone for the bridge might be what the doctor ordered.

11. jbrew73

jbrew73

You should probably replace both pots. The way jazz basses are wired I think the other pot will load down the circuit if its not replaced as well.

12. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

How about changing eq. on your amp or using an eq. pedal?

13. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

I think using Prosteels would brighten things up for you.