Car audio guys! Question...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mattsk42, Jan 2, 2014.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

So I recently got a nice new Pioneer HU. I want to just replace my stock speakers and not mess with fiberglass. (I've done the full kick pod thing and custom fit trunk sub enclosure before) I have no brand loyalty as long as it works. My last stereo was a 10w7 and whatever the middle of the line JL comps were when that first came out with a 500/1 and 300/2. I'd LOVE to have that setup back (even if it's dated), but anything even close to that quality would be great.

Can I get a recommendation for SQ (no volume needed at all) speakers for the front of the car? None needed for rear speakers. Also, sub/amp combo.

Speakers are 6.5" components, price under $150 unless you can convince me otherwise.

Sub should be just enough to cover for the speakers, no volume needed, SQ is #1 priority. Price for sub/amp/box combo should be $300 or less. (again, unless you can REALLY convince me otherwise)
  2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Bill Fitzmaurice AutoTuba. $35 sub, $40 for a sheet of plywood and PL, minor building skills and you have the best car sub you can get.

lowsound
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I put some Kicker 6.5's and 5.25's in my Ram. I love them. For the sub, I used a JL between the front seats, but I did have to build a box for it.

Head over to the Crutchfield website, put in the info about your ride, and they'll show you some plug and play options. That's what I did.

-Mike
  4. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I have had good car audio systems in my cars since I was 16. My experience as far as regular speakers go, is that the higher end you go the less you are going to get back from them, as the noise of driving is a less then perfect listening venue. In my latest system, I went for a middle of the line set and they sound great to me.

I have a 200 watt, 10 inch bazooka tube in my car now and it thumps. It was $188. Part of the reason I love it so much, is that I can simply unhook it and take it out of my car if I'd like to. It is nice not to have to install an amp to the floor.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

I'm loving my 10" Kicker CVR series sub in a sealed box. I'm running an 1100 watt dual channel Crunch amp with the channels bridged to run just the one sub. Works great in the trunk area of my subaru impreza wagon. Fills the air space in that car nicely. Should be around $300 to get everything new. I got all of my stuff, except the amp and wiring, used and my total was about $200.

Your stock speakers should be sounding a whole lot better with that new head, though. The stock subaru HU was absolutely terrible and I thought that I was gonna have to replace all of the speakers along with the head. Not the case, thankfully!
  7. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Thanks for the recommendations, any others? I haven't ever heard of the autotuba, but it intrigues me...
  8. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Supporting Member

Rip it out, just extra weight.
  9. DannyBob

DannyBob

What you need is the MTX Audio 22" Sub with 4,000 watt RMS

Attached Files:

10. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

I worked as in installer back in 1999/2000, but I've been out of the loop for many years now. The store where I worked was a Kenwood and Rockford Fosgate dealer. I was always really impressed with the SQ of Kenwood Dual-Mag speakers (perhaps a bit dated now) the frame held a separate mid and tweeter, similar to a co-axial but without the pole in the center. The Bazooka tubes (which my shop didn't sell) are great for the money too. It may take some trial and error to get the Bazooka in the best position but once you do they really fill your car with bass.

It's easy to get carried away with car audio, but unless you're building a competition car this should do the job quite nicely.

Also, sound deadening, such as Dynamat, can work wonders.
  11. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Many of the MCM branded speakers (from Parts Express), or the Dayton Audio speakers are just as good as any of the big name stiff at a quarter of the price. In fact, many of them are the same as the name brand stuff, come from the same factory even.

Also, you can put that MTX sub to shame with four $35 8" subs and about 8 sheets of plywood.

lowsound
  12. Monster Truck

Monster Truck

Wish I had pics, but I had a really sweet system in my Toyota Paseo:
    Infinity Kappa's all around, components in the front, co-axils in the back, 2-12" subs, all powered by MTX amps, with a Kenwood head unit and an Audio Control parametric EQ. Man, that car used to thump.
  13. DannyBob

DannyBob

Not to mention the price! Those things are EXPENSIVE!