1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Car Question regarding freeze plug replacement.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Sep 15, 2010.

1. cassanova

cassanova

My pop and I are outside trying to work on my car, 1995 3.4 L Camaro. The front freeze plug gave out and we're having a bitch of a time putting the new one in.

Is there something else we need to do to put the new one in? I don't have the special tool, so we're trying to use a hammer and socket to tap it in. The problem is it's not wanting to go in. He was thinking about dropping the a/c compressor so we could remove the mounting bracket to gain a bit more leverage, however thats not wanting to come off either. We took all the front bolts off, is there a bolt somewhere else behind it somewhere that we're missing? I see bolts every where I'm looking so I'm not exactly sure if they're for the compressor. Also is it really necessary to remove the bracket to put the plug in? I'm thinking just hitting the socket that I've got over the plug should work. I'm no mechanic so I don't kow.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

There must be a bolt on the backside of the compressor somewhere to help hold it up. Exactly where I'm not sure.

Did the parts store give you the right size freeze plug? They should go in fairly easily with a socket and hammer. Also, make sure you're installing it straight into the hole and not trying to drive it in at an angle.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Don't have any micrometers here to measure the hole. What I told the guy at the auto parts store was I need a front freeze plug for a 95 Chevy Camaro, 3.4 L V-6."

He did ask what the dimensions were and I told him I didn't know, so he plugged in the info I gave him and came out with the plugs. Which I am assuming are the correct size, but now, I'm not so sure. I really do wish I had a way to measure them. The old plug actually broke in two and part of it fell inside somewhere, so I can't even bring the old one in for them to try and match up.

4. hover

hover

Ooooh. That cannot be good. Drop the pan at least. Hopefully it fell down somehow and isn't waiting to get caught up in your valvetrain.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mike N

The plug would have fallen into a water jacket and not the pan. Worst case the water pump might see some minor fragments of it, but other than that it shouldn't pose a problem just leaving it there.

7. Mike N

There is more than one size freeze plug on most engines. Did you specify the location of the plug you were trying to replace?

8. cassanova

cassanova

That's what my dad was saying too. Worst case scenario is that the piece(s) that fell will just interrupt the flow of water and is nothing to really worry about.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Yeah, I told him it was a "front freeze plug" that I need. I was told "ask for a front freeze plug" so that's exactly what I asked for.

10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I don't have worked with that spesific engine, but generally replacing freezing plugs is a major PITA if the engine is in the frame.

9 times out of 10 You'll damage it enough so it leaks, or you scrape the zinc coating so badly, it'll rust away in no time.

The size determination is easy, the plug should go in for a millimeter or a two by hand and stay there, at least all the plugs I have installed have behaved like that.

There is "sandwich" type plugs on the market as well that resemble hefty dry-wall anchors.

If all else fails, and if there's a bit of extra room, a broken block heater unit can sometimes be used as a substitute.

Good luck, it sounds like You'll be needing it.

Regards
    Sam

11. cassanova

cassanova

It might be setting in the hole about a mm or 2, because it seems to rest in place, but will fall out if you even breathe on it.

The hardest part is getting enough leverage to give the socket some good hard wacks with the hammer. We actually took the radiator out to create more space and that still didn't provide enough room.

This job is a major PITA! Can you post a link to what the hell a sandwich type plug is? I tried googling it but I think it's to no avail.

12. Mike N

13. cassanova

cassanova

Thank you very much for this link. We still can't get the stupid thing in. Might have to try this instead because it seems a tad simpler if all you have to do is insert then crank to expand.

Was also informed today that my water pump is going. UGH, I'm really hating this car. The pump's not even 2 years old yet.

14. hover

hover

yes, my bad. Thanks Mike.

15. cassanova

cassanova

16. Mike N

It should.

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I opened that link and took a look at the plug, and under its description is a pink and white rectangle that says "No, this part does not fit your 2002 Volkswagen Golf GTI."

Anyone for cookies? ;)

Good luck! I've always had the good fortune of doing freeze plugs only on blocks that are already out of the car.