1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Car vandalized! Gig saturday!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dr Improbable, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable

I have a Sat gig, my windows are smashed, tires slashed. BL hasn't responded to my emails yet. None of this is covered by my insurance. I even facebooked him pictures. I hope he doesn't expect me to walk!

This would be my first "real' gig in 15 years, and now my confidence is shot. This is why I've stayed home all this time-my wife works evenings and I worry about the house & kids. I should stick to the occasional jam, I'm just a fat middle aged guy having a mid life crisis. I am super depressed about this and beginning to rethink this music stuff...
  2. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that.
  3. Epidrake

Epidrake

Sucks about the car but don't give up. Find a way to get to the gig and show your professionalism. It will pay off.
  4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Definitely sucks, but there's not connection between what happened to your car and playing music. Chin up!
  5. mellowinman

mellowinman

You will be there. You know you will. And you will rock. That's just what you do.
  6. f64

f64

That stinks, but cheer up - it can all be replaced in time. As long as no one got hurt (other than financially) put things on hold till you're in a better position. With your wife working nights it puts a wrinkle on things. I had to adapt as the kids were growing up and I put them, my wife and their safety and happiness ahead of myself and my music.
    I took that time to expand my abilities through practice. I found ways to stay in the game by writing and recording underpinnings for artists and made some money on the side beyond my normal job. Don't worry about your age. There are plenty of us old guys playing out with venues that want us.
  7. xgator4u

xgator4u

O.P.
    That sucks, but unless you live in the "hood", that type of destruction is probably NOT random.

Think about that.
  8. thiocyclist

thiocyclist Supporting Member

Hang in there. Try having a band member take you.

What are you trying to say?
  9. Neek

Neek Supporting Member

A broken window due to theft is one thing, but all windows smashed AND tires have been slashed? That was done on purpose.

It sucks that happened to you. There are times when I wonder what goes through peoples minds when they do things like that :scowl:

EDIT: Not saying any of that was deserved, but this goes farther than just someone breaking a window to grab something inside the car.
  10. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

You reckon?
  11. nojj

nojj Guest

Candidate for the crazy ex-girlfriend thread?
  12. Russell L

Russell L

Sorry to hear it, pal. But sounds like someone has a gripe with you.

(Hey, someone stole my turkey from the fridge at work today, dangnabbit).
  13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME! Supporting Member

Your car was vandalized at your residence? Do you know what happened or was it just some punk kids smashing cars up?

One time at a gig in Downtown LA I had to park little too close to skid row.
    Came back to my car to find my window smashed, my sunglasses gone, all my car change missing, and half my CDs lost.

I wont play there anymore.
  14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Why wont your insurance cover it?
  15. pdusen

pdusen

I don't get it. Car out of commission? Get a lift. Either from a band member or from a friend. Why would this have any effect on your confidence in your ability to play a gig? These things aren't related at all.
  16. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Thats a tuff break but you make it sound like this happened because you wanted to play a "gig". One has nothing to do with the other I guarantee it.
  17. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Unless the band leader is a good friend, he's not going to care much about your car troubles. He just needs you to show up and play the gig.

What everyone else has said, it sounds like you're the target of someone's anger.
  18. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

It is only Thursday and that allows you some time to make other arrangements for transportation but if you were looking for an excuse to miss the gig/quit the band it's as good a bad excuse as any I guess
  19. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

I'm lost here. While it's unfortunate that your car was damaged, what does this have to do with your gig on Saturday?
  20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I'm curious about this as well.