1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

car wax on bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by truckin88, Dec 20, 2013.

1. truckin88

truckin88 Supporting Member

Anyone use car wax on their basses. I have been using mothers for years with great success.
  2. Mtnman

Mtnman

After I clean the bodies of my basses, I use a spray car polish made by Slick 50. 'Course I only clean my basses about once a year....
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

car wax on bass

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep ... this will work good.
  4. Rob22315

Rob22315

I use Ultima Paint Guard Plus on my classical guitars, works great. My main bass is matte finish so I don't polish it.

Works great for reducing fingerprints and dirt.
  5. rtslinger

rtslinger

Never used car wax myself but, I know a guitar player who used Turtle wax on his guitar
    didn't seem to hurt the finish at all and it was a Gibson Les Paul 1970 something
  6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

I use some blue stuff...can't recall the name but it comes highly recommended here on the boards. I ran my bass 50 times through a car wash and it still shines like new!

Riis
  7. P Town

P Town Guest

Some car waxes smell like they have petroleum based solvents in them.

Would these be compatible with nitro?

Would they tend to cause clear poly to turn yellow?
  8. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

I've always used Meguiar's Cleaner Wax on both my bass and my car. It's always worked great.
  9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot

I use either Adams or Meguiar's quick detail spray on my poly-finish MIM JB. It is lighter than a typical car wax. I spray on and wipe with a microfiber towel. It removes my sweat stains, cleans, wont scratch and leave a nice shine.
  10. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    I use mothers too!!!...paste type...its 100% Carnuba wax...but when I apply to a new bass I always use it in an inconspicuous place first...I've never had issues !!
  11. Linnin

Linnin

+1 Me Too! Stuff stinks though, but it does work better than anything else.
  12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I use car wax, I also use Meguir's scratch-x for fixing up any minor blemishes. It works on both poly and nitro, and it works great.
  13. livingstone

livingstone

Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax for me--suggested by Michael Tobias. Somehow feels safer to me than car wax.
  14. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

I've never used car wax...but I use rubbing compound on my 2 nitro finished basses. Works quite well :smug:
  15. LordRyan

LordRyan

Liquid Glass works like car wax and produces a deeper shine.
  16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I've been using Ordinary Turtle Wax paste car wax for years on poly finishes and never a problem, but only if I've got the bass stripped down. Otherwise I wipe it down with a cotton handkerchief after I'm done playing.

after the body is bare, I clean it with a good douche of window cleaner to get any gunk off, let it dry, then apply the wax with (dampened) applicator that comes with the wax. Says don't let it dry before you wipe it off, but it won't hurt unless you slather it on. I put on just enough to tell it's on there.
  17. M0ses

M0ses

The body of my bass is finished only in oil and minwax on top. No, it doesn't really protect from dings, but I love the look.
  18. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i've done this!;)
  19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Cars were painted with nitro for over 50 years. I works fine. Carnauba wax is one of the best, but the solvent is usually mineral spirits, or something similar.
  20. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I started using Meguire's in the '70s- carnauba wax is really hard to smooth, manually, if it dries completely. I started using Race Glaze about 20 years ago after talking to a guy who owned a body shop. Nice stuff.