1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carbon vs Graphite?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suntory, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Suntory

Suntory

Would someone please explain the difference between Carbon Fibre and Graphite. Feel free to really dumb it down. I have a friend that has a MM Stingray with a Graphite neck, I don't like it, just isn't slippery enough for my taste. I know it's all about stability with Graphite.
    Cheers

2. ArvindJayaram

ArvindJayaram

I think the graphite is embedded within the neck to give it strength. Same with carbon fibre. The feel of the neck shouldn't change as a result, maybe you just didn't like that neck. I could be wrong though.

- Jimmy Rage

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Graphite is a stacking of monatomic layers of carbon (graphine), it's what a pencil lead is.

Carbon fibre is a composite where you make a weave of material from (generally) graphite, mold it into place and set it in a polymer resin.

Though I doubt any of that helps describe the difference in application as a bass neck :p

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

It depends on what you are actually talking about.

A "graphite neck" is usually a neck made from weaved carbon fibers.

Some may call a neck reinforced with carbon fiber rods a graphite neck. In that case the neck will look and feel like any neck. It just have rods to make it stiffer. (Less prone to bending and warping)

In any case, you don't feel the actual carbon fibers (Graphite). In CF necks the CF is buried in epoxy (Some are also lacquered just like normal necks). If there are stiffening rods they are also buried in lots of wood and (probably) lacquer.

What you are describing is the finish of the neck. It have nothing to do what the material it contains. Very glossy necks may often feel a bit "sticky" while necks finished with a more matte surface will feel smoother. If a neck is vaxed, for example it may feel less sticky.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Get a $3 can of Finger Ease and spray the back of the neck. Problem solved.

7. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

FYI, every single "graphite" necked bass is just carbon fiber. It's a misnomer.

They should all be called carbon fiber.

8. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Yeah. Real graphite wouldn't cope too well with string tension - remember that it's used as the "lead" in high-quality pencils!

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I dunno, I've not looked at the numbers but I suspect it would be ok with the string tension. Wouldn't want to drop it though!

10. Angus

Angus Gold Supporting Member

Strength would be waaaaaay more than fine, even if being in bending would not be ideal. But it would be fine. Just very heavy. And pointless.

11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

If you like the bass otherwise then a few minutes work with some very fine sandpaper or steel wool will tame the stickiness of the glossy finish on the back of the neck. As least that is what many others here on TB report. I've never had an issue with glossy necks so I don't know from personal experience.

Ken

12. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Pencil "lead" is ground graphite, mixed with a binder that's strong enough to hold it together, but not so strong that it can't shed particles when dragged across some other material. Soft "lead" has weaker binders, hard lead has stronger.

13. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

14. Suntory

Suntory

Don't mean to flog the post, my questions — I think, have been answered. My friends Music Man has the same look as fleas Modulus neck, it's not woven but layered? Very pretty actually.

Attached Files:

15. megafiddle

megafiddle

Carbon fiber's main characteristic (for it's use in necks) is rigidity. It resists bending.

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    That would be a MusicMan Cutlass, a very rare and, to some, desirable bass. ;)

17. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Megafiddle is correct... it's the weigh-to-rigidity ratio that makes carbon fiber components a great choice on things like race car bodies and some structural components.

Most of what I've seen in the bass realm of carbon fiber is sheets of woven composite in epoxy. Smilodon is correct, you can't feel the fibers, just the epoxy it's imbedded in.

And, in the automotive and hobby industries, carbon fiber and graphite tre terms commonly used interchangeably, if not exactly correctly.

18. David Jayne

David Jayne

Modulus graphite applies the same finish, it's carbon chips but actually purely asthetic. Underneath you would find a woven carbon cloth potted in resin.