1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cardboard Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by basshoundx, Feb 25, 2014.

1. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    WARNING: Liable to be weeaboo
    I recently started building my first bass, and in the spirit of building it all my self, I was going to be building a small 20w transistor amp to go with it. I had an idea of using the box from my Xbox One as the housing, as opposed to building a box out of plywood. How good wood cardboard be as amp? I'm not looking to perform gigs with the thing, just practice, but would the cardboard make be a bad idea?

2. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't fail under the weight of the speaker, assuming you could find one that even physically fit. Outside of that, there's only probably 50 or 70 more issues with it that I can think of - even for "just" a practice amp.

3. mrbell321

mrbell321

One of the things a speaker box does is isolate the front of the speaker cone from the back. This is important to avoid destructive interference on low frequencies. Cardboard would provide some isolation, but I imagine not very much. It would just flex and transmit the signal pretty unimpeded.

4. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Perhaps if you used the foam from inside the box as some sort of frame, with the box providing the veneer cover? Sounds like that may work a little better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basshoundx

basshoundx

Disclosures:
    WARNING: Liable to be weeaboo
    So what if I made a frame that went inside the box and used some foam inside to absorb vibrations, just using the box, as you said, a veneer? I figured I would have to add some type of supporting structure, I have the things to do so, I just wanted to use the box, since the box looks pretty sweet.

7. Technicality

Technicality

When I build a cabinet, one of the first things I did when the driver came through the post was to hook it up to an amp. With it just sitting there on the floor the driver sounded thin and weak and incredibly disappointing. It wasn't until I clamped it to a table that it started sounding fat and bassy. This makes sense when you think about it as in order for it to push the cone forward to make sound, the frame has to push back on whatever it is connected to. You want the energy to go into moving the cone, not the frame.

As a result of this mucking around I think attaching the driver to absolutely anything rigid would get you a way better sound than something flexible like cardboard regardless of if its box shaped or not. A box shape is definitely a big plus though.