cardboard box bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Pillgrimm13, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Pillgrimm13

Pillgrimm13

i was watching this show called invention usa witch replays sunday (12/11/11) at 1:30 pm on the history channel, a man has created an upright bass kit fro a cardboard box and wood that sounds like the real thing for 100 bucks. its called the bogdon bass, you order it and assemble it yourself in about 2 hours. i think its a brilliant idea and i know it was over the tv and not live but it sounded great.
  2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

So I take You didn't happen see his promotion thread about it then ;).

A cool idea, but unfortunately bound to fail economically, way too easy to DIY for a fraction of the price.

Plus, any serious DB:er wouldn't waste pee on it if it was on fire.

I thank the powers that be that I'm not a serious DB:er :D.

IMHO anyway.

Regards
    Sam
  3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

When I first saw it, I was reminded as a child experimenting in arts & crafts class in elementary school making a mini-harp or such out of a shoebox with notches for rubber bands stretched to different pitches to see how things vibrate, or a ruler taped on it to extend the length for a primitive banjo.
  4. MartinBorgen

MartinBorgen

Without seeing the commercial/video whatever, how can you be sure that the sound is from the actual bass? Not that I don't think it possible to get a 'good' sound, but I doubt it will sound like the 'real thing'.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

:eek: It's on the History Channel, they wouldn't lie, now would they.

Here's the link to the other thread I was referring to:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f31/bogdon-box-bass-history-channel-832067/

As for sounding like the "real thing", who's to define that?

There's probably as many opinions and bass tones as there are players and their basses when it comes down to the recorded "real thing".

With 1st class recording, one can make the proverbial silk purse out of the just as proverbial sows ear.

I think I watched a YouTube flick about the Bogdon Bass or something similar a good while ago, and sure as a silk purse, it did sound like a DB. To me anyway.

Regards
    Sam
  7. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

It sounds like what it is....... a cardboard box.;)
  8. spoonido

spoonido

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Hagstrom, Mahalo
    No bass is a bad bass if it fires you up enough to learn how to play music.
  9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

3 & 4 year-old Suzuki students start out on cardboard violins. ;)
  10. washtub_bass

washtub_bass

of course, the box bass isnt a replacement for fine luthier craftsmanship or beautiful woods, but rather its a crazy fun bass to see, hear, and play. The program compared the tone to a wood bass with a spectral analyzer. I wasn't nervous because it was designed by myself and an acoustical engineer and we already did those tests. The show is now posted on the History Channel website and will be there for a few weeks. Bass Player Magazine wrote a rave review and i won Best in Show at the Summer NAMM and picked up a few international retailers. Great tone is undeniable, but yes, it's still a cardboard box :)

Invention USA — History.com Videos
  11. jnuts1

jnuts1

my girl got me one years ago & they are fun & sound decent against an acoustic guitar if they are not strumming it to death. i don't use it much since it really isn't practical but it is really fun & i get a lot of compliments on it. the one downside is the tuning mechanism is horrid so i chopped it up & put some real tuners on it & it works great.
  12. washtub_bass

washtub_bass

i made 12 box basses with tuners and no one bought them, i sold 1000+ box basses with nutz-and-bolt tuners. Go Figure! can i see a photo of how you customized the box bass?
  13. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

bought one of these a couple years ago from Elderly Instruments for a friend's son. He was so enthralled he's now seriously into bass guitar thanks to the cardboard bass. Was pretty easy to build, too.
  14. jnuts1

jnuts1

yeah i will post pics as soon as i figure out how to use this new phone
  15. jnuts1

jnuts1

here you go guys

Attached Files:

16. washtub_bass

washtub_bass

man thats cool!
  17. jnuts1

jnuts1

thanks, it really made all the difference
  18. washtub_bass

washtub_bass

the box bass is supposed to be just the absolute basic instrument that is easily customized and crazy. You did it!!!!!!! thank you!
  19. DanHavok

DanHavok

I'll have one of these soon! I can't wait. My dad gave me a piece of paper for christmas. It was an order confirmation form for one of these. It should arrive anytime now.
  20. MR PC

MR PC

That's right! And it seems that (cigar) box instruments of all sizes are becoming quite popular. Great for the living room, and experimental sounds.:)
  21. MR PC

MR PC

It might be a good time to find a good deal on batches of remaindered tuners for your basses, they are out there.