1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Cardboard for a pinstripe?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reverendrally, Dec 3, 2012.

1. reverendrally

reverendrally

Right, so I've invested waaaayyy... too much time in working this out. Looked for fibre veneer, imported some stained poplar (turned out to be too small), found local vendors of similar stuff and the best thing I can find is this...

http://www.briggs.com.au/veneer_details.php?id=244

It's 0.6mm thick and $80 for 2500 x 640mm. I've looked at the spec sheet and it's recycled timber. What I'm wondering is, how is it really any different to cardboard. Now sure, the dye in cardboard is water based and this would be mineral based, but aside of that, I'm struggle to see the difference.

I did a test piece with some pine with purple cardboard laminated between it a few weeks back. I then tru-oiled it and left it. The cardboard hasn't swelled or anything, so I think it's safe. The only potention issue I see is the dye running a little during gluing, but after sanding, it all seems to be clean and neat.

Appreciate your thoughts on whether I'm just being a dangerous tightwad or if this would actually work... :confused:

2. reverendrally

reverendrally

Just btw, this isn't structural bits, but just something to go under the top laminate as an accent... although the titebond seems to soak right through it anyway.

3. Beauchene Implements

Beauchene Implements

Seems like the 'fiber' product LMII sells. I've had pretty good luck with that stuff. my only complaint with it is that on contours, if this stuff is cut through at a steep angle, it can look more greyish than black. Looks better than dyed veneer.

4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

I can't see cardboard handling any stress and NOT separating unless the glue penetrates it. I know of someone in New Zealand who's a woodworker, machinist and makes hand planes- he might be able to lend some advice. Let me know if you want his website link, so you can contact him.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. reverendrally

reverendrally

Ok, tested it to destruction and FAIL! Split way too easily...

[​IMG]

Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained... :rolleyes:

7. James Mobius

James Mobius

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Too bad it didn't work out, but thanks for sharing.

I had been considering using some cellulose board material that may or may not be the same stuff that stewmac sells - and this bears up the necessity of testing