Carl Thompson Bass - serial numbers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raspatue, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Raspatue

Raspatue

Hi..

I was lucky to find this Carl Thompson bass for sale in Denmark, so i bought it right away.
    I read on the CT homepage that Carl will be issuing certificates of authenticity, but i cant find the serial number. and i dont really want to take off the neck if i am not sure that is where the serial is. so i ask if anybody knows that Carl placed the serial number under the neck on other basses.?

Sorry for my bad english. :)

Regards Rasmus

[​IMG]
  2. Bass42

Bass42

Disclosures:
    Endorsing : Elixir Strings, Digitech , Eden Amplification
    I have 7 CT basses and all of them have the serial # located (engraved) behind the headstock and never saw one with a serial # inside the neck ! I have 77 , 78 , 90's, and new ones. This is one looks like the ones from 90's. Post more pics, this way I could help you better. How much did you pay ?

3. Raspatue

Raspatue

I payed 1900 dollars for it because Carl Thompson is not very well known in Denmark.

There is no serial on the back of the head.

I will take more pictures of it tomorrow. but there is also pictures of it from the previus owner on Carls homepage under 4 string basses.
  4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

It also looks 99.9% identical to the first (and now that I think of it, probably only) Carl Thompson I ever played back in 1978.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass42

Bass42

Disclosures:
    But in 78 he did not made any wood bridge and wood pick up covers ! This is more late 80's thing and 90's stuff.
  7. Bass42

Bass42

Disclosures:
    But I'm sure it's a real Ct bass LOL, but without serial number unless you take the neck off and tell us if there is a serial number ! If you some day want to sell it , please PM me. Maybe we can deal. This is a "brother" bass of your one for sale :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1995-Carl-T...462&&clkid=5563149945287922921&_qi=RTM1562569
  8. Raspatue

Raspatue

I actually like that one a lot better. if i had 3,500 dollars i fould buy it right now.
  9. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

I haven't seen a photo, but I am reading things that raise red flags. No serial number behind the headstock. and a bolt on neck. There are a few other people making basses that look like the real deal; CT basses and Scroll basses for example.
    Post a photo of it if you have a chance.
  10. Raspatue

Raspatue

Here you have some more pictures of the bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I dont think its a fake. or well, i dont think it would be posted on Carls home page under 4 string CT basses if it was a fake.
  11. Bass42

Bass42

Disclosures:
    All those details are really the same things and finishes that Carl uses on his basses, and if it's a copy is a very well made. I do not think it's a copy, is it an original CT bass. The weird thing is that the #serial number isn't on the back of the headstock ! But Carl is always doing weird things ! I email these pics for a friend of mine that is very close to Carl for an analysis !
  12. Raspatue

Raspatue

Thanks. i am very happy about the bass but i just thought that a certificat would be nice.

Hope to get my hands on more CT basses..
  13. Charles Farley

Charles Farley

Cool bass. Some features seem very legit to me. Others are unusual.

The burning of "carl thompson" looks legit. That would be hard to recreate so accurately. However, the piece of wood comprising the nameplate is really thin - thinner than I've ever seen.

The body construction and wooden bridge strikes me as legit.

I've seen about 15 or so CT's, but never have seen one without a serial number on the back of the headstock. Given that this bass doesn't have one, it strikes me as odd. I would have guessed that if Carl replaced the neck, he'd re-stamp the old serial number on it.

From fingerboard wear, it's been well played. Enjoy.
  14. Bass42

Bass42

Disclosures:
    I agree with you !
  15. Anthony Fury

Anthony Fury Supporting Member

X3 - barring wild public speculation, it looks real to me. I wouldn't take the neck off if you don't have to. The certification definitely can't hurt to have.
  16. dblbass

dblbass

Disclosures:
    Worker Gnome @ Carl Thompson Guitars. Former worker gnome @ Sadowsky guitars
    Padauk neck too! Not very many of Carl's basses have had those. Very cool.

Looks legit to me!
  17. Raspatue

Raspatue

Thanks for all your posts. hope to hear from Carl about it.

dblbass: now that you are able to identity the padauk neck, can you tell me what the other wood types are.?
  18. dblbass

dblbass

Disclosures:
    Worker Gnome @ Carl Thompson Guitars. Former worker gnome @ Sadowsky guitars
    The top wood looks like cherry to me and the back looks like walnut and mahogany. Not 100% sure, but that's what I think it is! Hope this helps.
  19. Raspatue

Raspatue

20. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

This bass reminds me of my 75. Unless things have changed the serial number and date completed were one and the same.

$1,900 bucks is beyond a bargain. I seem to recall one going off on Ebay for more than that. And the neck was broken.

Enjoy the bass.
  21. Raspatue

Raspatue

Yes its very cheep if you ask me. its hard to sell a bass like this in Denmark. most people here dont know Carl Thompson, and when people want a different bass they useually buy a Mörch bass. and the guy i bought if of was in need of the money.

Thanks. i am enjoying it very much allready. hopefulle wont be my last CT bass.