Carl Thompson Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzman223, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Jazzman223

Jazzman223

I have an old Carl Thompson Bass from the late 70s or early 80s.
    I want to know how much it is worth. Its a 4 string fretless. There are at least 3 types of wood. Its not fancy like some of the other basses I have seen by him. Its an interesting bass, but I want a gretsch. Its my dad's. I am currently 14 and I want a bass that is more geared to jazz. Should I sell it.
  2. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

the condition will greatly effect its value. I recommend posting some photos if you can.
  3. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

...and when you pay the $20, you can ask.
    I don't make the rules...
  4. Jazzman223

Jazzman223

IT is in good condition though
  5. Jazzman223

Jazzman223

Im sorry I'm new here is there a 20 dollar fee.
  6. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Media:
    You have to be a Supporting Member of the forum to ask what a bass is worth. Tell you what, why don't you just ship the bass to me, I'll take some pictures, and ask on your behalf. I have a phobia of cars, planes, boats, and putting things in boxes, though, so I probably won't be able to return the bass to you. But at least you'll know how much it's worth, and I'll end up with a Carl Thompson bass. It's win/win, you see.
  7. Jazzman223

Jazzman223

ffutterman, you sir are not funny. and seriously i have to pay to have someone i don't know tell me how much a bass is worth. Thats bull.
  8. Jazzman223

Jazzman223

I can't send any pics up
  9. ffutterman

Media:
    The rule helps weed out spammers, con artists, and generally just tons of threads of people asking what their bass is worth. You also have to be a Supporting Member to sell a bass, so it would be unfair to require people to donate in order to do sales but still allow people to ask what their bass is worth and then sell it via private messages.

For Carl Thompsons, the value depends greatly on the style of the bass, the woods in it, the features, its condition, and so on and so forth. If you want to get a sense of its worth, take some pictures, give a couple bucks to become a Supporting Member, and post a "Feeler" thread in the sales section.

What is "bull" is the fact that you're a 14 year old kid with a Carl Thompson and you can't spare $20 to support a lively and supportive community of fellow bass players. And I am, in fact, funny. :D
  10. ffutterman

Media:
    Create a Photobucket or similar account and link to the pictures that you post there.
  11. neptoon

neptoon

you could search the classifieds for a similar Thompson...you said it's your dad's - so you have his permission to sell it?
  12. tobias3469

tobias3469 Supporting Member

+1

nailed it.
  13. Jazzman223

Jazzman223

no I am thinking about selling it. he gave it to me it was originally my dad's I just want to know how much it is worth but I can't really do that
  14. ffutterman

Media:
    Is there a serial number stamped on the back? There might be pictures already posted on Carl's website.
  15. Jazzman223

Jazzman223

my dad payed 200$ for it in the 80s.
  16. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

17. Jazzman223

Jazzman223

18. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Nothing in this world is free. I have to pay much more than 20 bucks to people I will hopefully never know for "services" worth much less than evaluating the price of my bass.

I would suggest you hold on to the bass. Someday just having something that belonged to your father will be worth much more than any monetary gain you might realize from the sale of a piece of wood with some wires attached to it.
  19. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

It is worth anywhere from $2000-10000+.

Pay the $20 to be a Supporting Member here like the thousands of us and the members that know lots about CT basses will give you a very good idea of worth... Or call Carl, pay Gruen or others $50+ for an appraisal.
  20. Jazzman223

Jazzman223

Screw it I'll
    take it to the local repair guy.
    I'd rather pay 30$ to a guy I know and really needs the money than 20$ to a website. he's the one who notified me of the potential value of the bass.