Carlo Robelli 8 string???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Dec 21, 2001.

1. BASSnSAX

BASSnSAX

Has anyone tried the Carlo Robelli UBD510 8 string bass? I'm thinking of perhaps getting one but i don't know where to get one and if it'd be worth it...isn't it active? and does it have eight single bridge saddles?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Disclosures:
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I haven't tried one, but they look cool. Sam Ash has them.

3. christos

christos

Only Sam Ash has them, that is their "house" brand. I bought a Carlo Robelli 6 string, kept it for about 5 days, returned it... The workmanship is not acceptable, all the screws were stripped, and the joints did not all line up. I saw a 6'er for $275, and my wife was willing to buy it for me, when I got home, I saw a $275 mistake I made. Thank god Sam Ash has a good return policy. My advice is save some dough and buy what you really want, not what you can afford at the time. BTW if it is a straight 8 string I can't help you, but if it is an octave 8, Dean makes one for about twice the price and it is a really nice bass.

4. BassistJ

BassistJ

I was actually just at the Sam Ash in the Onterio Mills mall, and I happened to pick up and play said 8 string. It had one big Musicman-ish pickup with what sounded like a preamp inside. It was a cool little instrument, a pretty damn good beginner-to-intermediate 8. I could actually slap on it, so I was having a hell of a time! My only big complaint was that it sounded really trebelly, but that was probably because I played it through a crappy lil' 15 watt practice amp. As long as you go in understanding that this probably won't be your God-like 8, I say do it. You can do ALOT worse for the price.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KB

KB

get a Dean Rhapsody 8 string for a few more $$. It is a lot better for the price ($430 new on ebay usually) and it is a great looking instrument. It does have an active preamp (not that great of one, but you can at least make some sound changes) and having the 2 EMG-HZ pups gives some tonal variety.
    I recommend the transparent black finish as you can see the bubinga through it and it looks really cool. My 8 string dominates the sound in my band.

-KB

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    KB hit the nail right on the head. I worked @ Sam Ash for a few years & the Carlo Rodelli's are hit & miss. Some are good @ best & MOST are ready for the trash as soon as it's taken out of the box.

The Dean Rhapsody 8's are great basses & the trans black finish is AWESOME!!!!!! I feel that the pre-amp is actually pretty good for a bass in that $ range. DEFINITLY 1000x better than the Carlo Robelli.

8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

According to the one Harmony Central review on the CR 8-string it does have separate intonation adjustment (saddles?) for each string.

I figured out a way (don't I always?) and went for a Dean Rhapsody 8 - it was about $100 more brand new from a dealer w/warranty via ebay. I'll report on it after it arrives.

Mine will be bubinga (not black).

9. BASSnSAX

BASSnSAX

is the circuit cheesy? I hate cheesy electronics **cough**ibanezSR885**cough**.

10. barroso

barroso

there is a ESP/LTD 8 string too. it looks great but i have never played one.

11. KB

KB

The ESP is very similar to the Dean Rhapsody (same pups, same bridge...probably made in the same Korean factory). IMO the Dean looks cooler with the nice curly upper horn.

Craigb: you'll be happy with the rhapsody. both finishes look cool. The natural bubinga finish is kind of a matte finish while the transparent black (over bubinga) looks like dark brown glossy figured bubinga.

The electronics aren't "cheesy" but there are also better electronics out there. I would say they are pretty good for the price. Besides, the 8-string is so powerful it doesn't need too much tweeking for some really cool sounds.

-KB