1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carol Kaye and Brian Wilson. "The beach boy sound"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Precision101, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Precision101

Precision101

Any Carol Kaye fans out there? I still love to hear pet sounds over and over again to hear the beautiful masterpiece of Mr Wilson. She played bass on almost that whole record and smile too. What do you guys think?

2. boombloom

boombloom Supporting Member

Search for Carol in the talkbass forums. Many folks have already expressed many opinions.

3. bassie12

bassie12

Media:
    So did Lyle Ritz and at least two other guys. Ms. Kaye was indeed part of the sound, but not as large a part as she claims.

4. Precision101

Precision101

I think she probably felt that way because Brian thought of everything that had to be happening the studio. And I always liked the way Brian played too. Some beach boys bass lines are so creative like sloop john b.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Biiiiiiig +1

Whenever I listen to SJB, I am always amazed at how "out in front" that bass line is. And I also like the tone of the bass. You can really hear the pick plucking the strings.

IMO, Brian Wilson is a musical genius.

And just think how fun it must have been for a young girl (Carol) playing bass for some of the Beach Boys songs.

Good times, great music.

7. Precision101

Precision101

Amazing. I named my bass in honor of Brian. It's a white on white fender precision like he used ImageUploadedByTalkBass1379966844.276912.jpg check it out.

8. Precision101

Precision101

And yes sloop john b the bass line is so crisp and clean. In my opinion that's one of the greatest albums ever produced.

9. electracoyote

electracoyote

I think this "sound," perhaps more than any other, inspired me to try to capture it.

Pick attack, mute (sometimes), technique, it's just a perfect mix- and radio-ready sound.

10. Precision101

Precision101

If you listen to the bass tracks by her she played very soft an muted with the pick. And I think that's where all of it comes from. It's just sounds so raw.

11. electracoyote

electracoyote

Yeah, I wasn't sure if they always used just the plucking hand to mute or if they ever used a foam mute. But that's definitely how they get that pick attack out front like that.

12. prd004

prd004

Wow, the "Search Police" came out on the first reply

13. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

Need I say that I love the Beach Boys sound?

14. Precision101

Precision101

Pet sounds. If anybody doesn't enjoy the warmth blend of beautiful harmonies together with rich tone... Then they might have no soul.