1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Carole King's bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

I was listening to this mp3 of her singing Jazzman, and then my Winamp finished it and went onto the next song...also by her, something I'd never listened to -- "I Feel The Earth Move". This is a mean, mean bassline -- this a perfect how much power a bassline has over a song. It's grooving so hard, and it just gives the song this powerful sense of motion and bounce.

Who is this bass player? I must know!
  2. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy

I don't know who the bass player is, I couldn't name another Carole King solo song, I do know it's off Tapestry though- but I can't imagine a bass player on TB that hasn't heard "I Feel The Earth Move" at some time or another. I'm not saying this to be a knob- it's like saying you've never heard the Beatle's "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" or something.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Wow, I feel like a total dork -- I've never heard that Beatles song either.
  4. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

;) Thanks! I'll check him out.
  6. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

Carol was married to Charles Larkey at the time. I agree about his basslines, I thought they where great :bassist:
  7. JimK

JimK

Tapestry is a great Pop album.
    There's some definite Motown/Jamerson things going on during "I Feel The Earth Move"(IIRC, it's when the tune moves to the "Bb" change).
    "It's Too Late" & "So Far Away" are also nicely played!

King's followup album, Music, is also very good.
  8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    Might be Lee Sklar???
  9. Wil Davis

Wil Davis

Well… here's another one! Although I must admit, I mis-read the title and thought it said Carol Kaye… and expected it to be one of those threads which pass for humour… (ooops! sorry Carole…!!) Beatles? What is Beatles?
  10. briand

briand

Yes, it is Charles Larkey... I just checked the liner notes. He plays either electric bass or string bass on every song on the album.
  11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Carole King's "Tapestry" was HUGE! Heavy FM rotation. Good songs so it was O.K.
  12. johnvice

johnvice

Funny, Tapestry is one of my favorite albums of all time. I've said half seriously that on my tombstone I'd like the inscription "My life is a tapestry" .

I never thought of it as being an album for "essential bass listening". That said, a good bass line should make the listner say "what a great song" which is exaclty the effect of "I Feel The Earth Move" .
  13. leegreenman

leegreenman

Great playing on the whole Tapestry LP.
  14. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Not if it's the version of "I Feel The Earth Move" from "Tapestry". It's definitely Charles Larkey, formerly of the band Jo Mama (along with Danny "Kootch" Kortchmar. However I believe "Jazzman" (at least the version on "Thoroughbred") IS Leland Sklar.

Geez-- kids these days. Why back in my day we had real albums, and they had real liner notes that were big enough to read, along with artwork that was really good...

John
  15. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Not calling you a dork, but where you just born sometime today?
  16. jedgargroover

jedgargroover

I am a high school teacher and I have bad news for everyone: There are a whole buncha kids out there that not only have never heard the Beatles, much less Carole King, and if they have they regard them in the same way we regarded "oldies" growing up. I'm 38 and to me, doo wop and stuff like Chuck Berry was definitely oldies and when I was a kid I had no interest in it. Now I know it's great, well composed and well performed stuff (well...some of it anyway.) And I hate to sound old (as my greys multiply) but the stuff that a lot of us think of as "classic" is regarded as "obsolete" by a lot of young people. It's a drag, I know...but true. I mean...would everyone on this site recognize Basie or Mingus for that matter if they heard a recording? Probably not.
  17. bassteban

bassteban

^not news. :D
    For more sweet carole King, look into Really Rosie- a kids' story/cartoon(written, IIRC, by Maurice Sendak). Example:
  18. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

I was assuming that since the OP has nearly 7,400 posts he might need to take a peak at this landmark Beatles' recording.

Furthermore, there are far more than a "whole buncha kids out there" that suffer from small minds.
  19. Thor

Thor Back. And grumpier than ever. Supporting Member

Np point chastizing the OP for posts made in 2004 when
    he was 15 years old. And he hasn't posted in 9 months.
    Some reality may have set in.

The basslines discussed are timeless works of art.

And no wonder these were big hits,with an incredible
    songwriter, top notch production, all the right connections,
    the right stuff and great sidemen she blew the charts away.
  20. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

I know some kids who have never heard of Cream or Hendrix! I was surprised at first, but hey I probably don't know most of the groups they listen to.. I know a teenager who is way into Tokio Hotel.. I had to youtube them to find out who they were...