1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Cars and Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Jan 9, 2013.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Supporting Member

I know there have been threads on this before, but searching isn't bringing them up (except on the UB side).

My wife and I had our mopeds stolen, so we're in the market for a car; preferably something decent on gas, and unique.

We've found a 1973 VW Super Beetle.

Now that my band is going to start gigging, I'm going to be buying a bigger cab. I've read that you can fit a standard guitar 412 in the back, but I want to know what the biggest cab I can fit in it is.

What kind of car do you drive, and what kind of cabs can fit? Post pics! Fictitious awards for the most cab in the least car!
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

VW aren't great on gas and cost a bomb to keep on the road.

I drive a small Nissan wagon, fits upright bass and 2x15 plus a giant rack case, only just and not very safely for me or the bass.
  3. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

No advice on the VW, but I can fit my 410 and head into my '99 Ford Contour, as well as my guitarist's 412 and head, two combos, instrument cases, and accessories. The biggest cab I could probably fit in is a 610...there's probably no way a fridge would fit.

Here's the car, and an example of what I could fit:

Attached Files:

4. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Mopeds stolen? That sucks. Wait, weren't you the guy trying to schlep a rig around on that scooter? You guys are crazy! Good luck. You can fit a four ten in the back of more or less every four door car as far as I can tell. Have fun!
  5. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

'73 Super Beetle! Really! I sold mine in '78... My hauling requirements have ALWAYS driven :))) my vehicle choices - NEVER the other way around. (Back in the 70's we had an International 16' box truck with power lift)
  6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I used to get an SWR Son-of-Bertha 115 and an SWR goliath II, jr. 210 in my '65 Bug. Wth two basses, and a bag with the head and cables, the car was full, i.e., no room for anyone except the driver. Sorry no pics.

Don't use the bug. Keep it for fun, sure, but they are death traps. Get a modern car with at least two airbags. I have an Elantra touring, and love it.
  7. Jeff A

Jeff A

2000 mustang. Fit a GS412 in the back seat. The rack case, two basses and gig bag in the trunk.
  8. Jim Carr

Here is the Elantra touring. I wanted a Focus Wagon (my brother is a Ford engineer), but they quit making them. This vehicle gets 30mpg and can carry my 410, 210, PA (2x115 yamaha cabs, stands, amp, mixer, mics, cables), merch, and luggage, with my sweetie in the passenger seat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  9. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I can fit 2 Hartke 410's in My 2001 Jetta no problem. MY Avatar Cabs fit with ease also.
  10. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

I've got a 2002 Toyota Camry, and I've fit two 4x10s in it on the rear seats, with a guitar 4x12 in the trunk, a guitar head in one footwell, a bass head in the other footwell, two guitars, and two basses.

The best (non-pickup truck) gear hauler was my bandmate's late-90s Subaru Outback wagon. 4x10 Super Reverb, 2x10 Deluxe Reverb, massive two-tier pedalboard, two electric guitars and an acoustic in hard cases, an entire four-piece drum kit (hardware, drums, cymbals, throne), AND a full-sized Fender Rhodes piano with a driver and two passengers. Not bad for, well, a car!
  11. Sigurd

Sigurd

I have a '66 Beetle! My Peavey 115 cab and Mark 6 head fit with the backseat folded down as does my fEarful 15/6. Loading either one was not pleasant.

My '98 Jetta has fit the above-mentioned Peavey, 15/6 and also a Berg 410 (not at the same time). Bass cases fit crossways. I never have to use the backseat. The Mesa 610 was this close to fitting in that car. That was what prompted the fEarful project.
  12. Kyle Matthews

Kyle Matthews Supporting Member

I also have a 66' beetle. Though i use my dodge truck for my rig :)
  13. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

I cannot help. I can put all band's stuff, PA and a few humans. Much better than band's van on gas and feels like a king on the road..
    I don't use it for any other purpose.
  14. Plays_For_Dog

Plays_For_Dog Supporting Member

15. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Have an 09 Accent, can barely fit a bass in the case back there. Might be able to get the GK MB212 in the trunk. Probably the GK in the back, push the rider all the way back and full tilt might get a small case in there.
  16. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    For the same price as an old Beetle, which I'm guessing is in the $1,500-$2k range, you can pick up a Land Rover Discovery series 1 or series 2 on Craigslist, and load two 810s, a 10-space rack case, 4 basses in cases, pedalboards, and have room for a passenger or two. I've seen it done. And it can get you to a gig in driving snow or Noah-level flooding.

And I'm guessing that if you were oK with Mopeds and consider an air-cooled Beetle as a real-world car, the old Discoveries (early-to-mid-90s) will sort of fit the image you've got going on, too.

There will be an electrical issue every now and then; after all, Rovers are British, but the same can be said for an old Beetle too (not that it's British, but that Beetles have electrical gremlins).
  17. Jim Carr

My bug in 2004 up in the hills above Stanford. Loved it, but not really a great gig car. However, great babe magnet!

[​IMG]
  18. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Really?

You've never driven one, that's for granted.
    You've never hauled anything in a Beetle either, that's for granted as well :).

As an engineer it has always amazed me how so little power can be produced with such a (relatively ;)) big engine guzzling that much gas.

No pics, but my "show" rig of TL-505 cabs do fit into my -92 3D Seat Ibiza (= Spanish Fiat UNO, ~ VW Golf).

Regards
    Sam
  19. anderbass

anderbass

You could fit most any sized cab if you removed the passenger seat.

(although you'd get some weired looks from anyone who remembers Ted Bundy... ;)
  20. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    2008 Impreza sedan. SWR 410 wouldnt fit in the trunk and barely fit in the back seat, GK Neo 212 fits no problem. I can get 2 in the back seat, my 8 space rack in the trunk, 2 basses and my bag of stuff and have room for a passenger in the front seat.