1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Carved German? Bass $3200. More info

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Fat bob, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Fat bob

Fat bob

Hello fellow TBers,
    Recently I had the chance to play a carved German upright. I thought the sound was dark and intriguing. I haven't been able to find out anything about the bass, I am thankful for any info. The bass was new, made by the Stravari company (www.stravari.com) the model is Gotthardt BIT. (Here's a link http://www.stravari.com/gotthardt_instruments)
    Also here is a craigslist link with the exact bass I played: http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/4269452962.html

Has anyone played these? Is it possible these are sold also under another name?

Iam in the market for carved top, but was looking mostly at hybrids considering my price range. I play mostly straight ahead jazz. I don't know if I really want the responsibility of a fully carved instrument. I guess I find it interesting that no one I know has owned, played or heard of this brand. Maybe this bass is also distributed under another name? Thanks for your replies.

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Well Bob, it ain't a German bass.

It looks to me to be one of the new breed of Chinese-made instruments that are "set up" in Romania. They don't usually say "Made in " inside but they are marketed with much innuendo suggesting that they are of "Olde Worlde European Craftsmanship".

Cheaper Chinese basses tend to dry out, come undone at the seams and warp somewhat during their first couple of heated winters. That said, it might be a decent bass at the price but I can't tell from way over here! ;)

3. lorianb

lorianb

The ad mentions Gollihur upgrades so you might want to pick their brains. Also, listed retail at 9995$ going for 3200$, seems too good to be true. Good luck though. Let us know what you find out and/or make out.

4. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

FB,

I saw the ad, called La Vida Strings and talked to Eric, who set the bass up. He said it is Romanian and is, in his words, "a lemon." Said it took a lot of work to get it playing as it does now, and that it still was sub-par. Heck of a straight-up guy. If you played it and liked it, I'd get a second opinion. And if you still like it, I'd take Eric's judgment into account when making your offer.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fat bob

Fat bob

Mindwell, thanks for your research and response. I am very much looking forward to getting back to the city to play more basses. I guess anything sounds better than my inexpensive laminate :)

7. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Indeed. I'm also moving up after years and years with a cheaper laminate bass, and I have found it a challenge to take the time necessary to cultivate my taste and identify my needs, and not just jump on whatever bass just happens to come along.